cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

line gain up, yes or no?

N/A

line gain up, yes or no?

I know it use to work on old 56k in improving the connection speed by getting BT to up the gain on your line, what i was wondering is if it would help ADSL connections in any way? im assuming the gain would boost all frequencies and not just normal voice call frequencies.

any ideas?
8 REPLIES
N/A

line gain up, yes or no?

Line gain is an option on the analogue line only. Indeed, if it was increased, any low level noise would be amplified and the broadband speed would be reduced accordingly.
N/A

line gain up, yes or no?

...... if it was increased, any low level noise would be amplified and the broadband speed would be reduced accordingly.

Hi

I have been meaning to ask about this for sometime but never actually got round to doing so.

I had my gain increased when I was on dial up and as far as I'm aware it remains at that increased level.

Would a request for it to be lowered help my broadband speed? At the moment my noise margin is 26db.

Thanks
N/A

line gain up, yes or no?

The noise margin is fine, but you dont state what your line attenuation is. This is more relevant than the noise margin figure unless you have a very low noise margin of about 7db.

Andy.
N/A

line gain up, yes or no?

The attenuation level is 43 db.........Should I ask BT to drop my previous gain increase back down to the level it was before the increase?

Thanks
N/A

line gain up, yes or no?

Yes, I would ask BT to reset the gain back to normal.

In a perfect world, the computer systems would generate the request automatically when broadband is activated on a line. But that would probably introduce 'something else to go wrong', such as 'Robot not listening'. :-)
N/A

line gain up, yes or no?

Increasing gain will increase both signal and noise proportinaly. Noise can be amplified more thansignal though.

I wouldn't bother having your gain dropped. This should have been done by default, during the ADSL activation procedure.
N/A

line gain up, yes or no?

accar, I don't think it is done by default. This had to be done by an enginneer manually, not by the robot. Things may have changed, though.
N/A

line gain up, yes or no?

Thanks for the replies. I have just phoned BT. Apparently the gain doesn't affect adsl services only voice and the dial up Internet connection are improved if it's been increased or lowered.

He did confirm that all settings would have been put back to normal when the adsl service was implemented. I asked if this would have been done by a human being or automatic. I was told that an engineer would have done this part.

Thank you for your help.