cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

line attenuation

N/A

line attenuation

my line db has changed from 57.5 db to 55 db is this normal or is a part of the new settings that are coming in place,cheers
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

line attenuation

It is not unusual for dB values will fluctuate with things like weather conditions and any number of other factors and is perfectly normal. Only if you get a large increase which is permanent could it affect your connection.
N/A

line attenuation

ok cheers for quick reply nothing to worry about then,cheers
N/A

hmm

My db loss was 66.2 when BT tested it. I know 65db is the threshold, so it would explain why my connection isn't that stable. Is there any way to check it?
Community Veteran

line attenuation

60bB is the current threashold for 512K connections.

Unless your router gives you the line figures the only way is to ask PlusNet to perform a Woosh test. But unless you are intending to change speeds (which may not be possible, even under the new levels) or are reporting a problem I think PlusNet would prefer you not to just to know what your figures are.
N/A

Darn

I was told by the BT engineer that 65db was the 'threshold'. He said he had somebody working on 68db! Does this mean that I have the right to complain to BT for a better service? What's the point in extending it if they can't guarantee a working connection?
N/A

Darn

EDIT: double post - see what I mean about my connection problems!
Community Veteran

line attenuation

Probably they meant 64dB without any equipment connected. The 60dB figure is with equipment connected.

Your unlikley to get anything from BT considering we all know the limits for 512K will be removed on 6th Sept so everyone will be in the same boat.

If it is really really bad then it's possible BT may fit a new faceplate on the Master socket but you will have to raise this with BT or PlusNet.
N/A

Hmm

How would changing the faceplate solve anything? I still don't understand why BT are extending the coverage, when there's no way they can guarantee a service.

btw, thanks for the replies + info

Owen
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

line attenuation

Hi,

From the Milton Keynes and Scotland trials they've found that for about 75% of lines that are over the current limits the ADSL service will work fine without a problem.

For the remaining 25% the service didn't work "out of the box" and a faults engineer needed to be sent out.

For about 4 out of 5 of these customers the engineer was either able to resolve a fault on the line or fit a flacepate to replace the filters.

This only leaves about 5% who's service didn't work at all. For these they would have received a full refund. Remember that's 5% of those customers on the extended reach trial, so a very tiny percentage of all le trying to get broadband.

Over the 5 years since the first exchange was enabled BT have been pushing out the limits and now they've taken the decision that they will give every line a try. I think this is a very good thing, the number of people I've spoken to over the last 4 years who have failed the line check and I've had to give them bad news is huge. Now they'll get a chance to see if the service will work or not.