cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

latest on mtu :¬s

N/A

hey umm hope u tweakers out there can help me out on this one..err last i checked 1478 was the max we cud get the mtu up to..wuts the lastest on that..settings wise that is..mtu + rwin

thx for ya help Smiley
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

It's not the max that is important, it's the combination of MTU & RWIN that will determin your fastest transfer speed. Having a high MTU but wrong rwin can cause a slowdown.

Read the MTU Tweak thread and use the suggested software to check various MTU/RWIN settings and see which one gives you the best transfer speed. If you have a router, also check what MTUI setting it has because using a higher setting on your PC than your router will not make any difference.
mitchell20
Grafter

On the suject of MTU's. As someone yet to start using ADSL I have signed up for plus.net 1MB home service (hopefully) once my exchanges becomes RFS (Feb 11th)

I unterstand that I need my MTU set at 1478 on both my PC and on my DG834G router which I have changed already. I did't really understand the rest of the post or catch what RWIN (TCP receive) setting I need for 1Mb ADSL?

I have downloaded Dr TCP and just wondered what the other settings need to be set to please?
N/A

MTU is the same regardless of DSL speed, so is 1478.
RWIN depends on where you want to tweak for, mainly UK surfing ro US sites. RWIN is a multiple of MTU so 31038 to 36950 are possible values for 1Mb connection
painswck
Grafter

Some people, myself included, are still finding that an MTU of 1430 gives the best results. It is a question of trying and using those that are best for you.

Roland