cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ip's

N/A

ip's

hello everyone, i run 2 unix machines both running apache however as i only have the one static ip, the second web server must be ran on a diff port , which is quite annoying, is it possible to purchase extra ip's from plusnet? and if so,how much is it per ip ?
9 REPLIES
N/A

ip's

I believe it is possible, you probably just need to raise a contact us ticket asking for one. Smiley
Mark_Dowd
Grafter

ip's

If your package is ADSL Home Surf (£18.99 per month) you will have to upgrade to next one up, ADSL Home (as I did). The good news is that this also gives you 250Mb of web space. Even of you ain't a web jockey, it's a handy place for an offsite backup of your volatile data files.
N/A

ip's

I did exactly the same thing [two linux boxes running apache] and I requested the IP. However, it was impossible to integrate them with my router.
Mark_Dowd
Grafter

ip's

Hmmm...yes, you're right. One of the two available is taken up by the DSL router.

There is no technical reason why more addresses couldn'e be assigned. The next step up gives you six usable (two to the power of "n" minus 2, where n is an integer), but you will probably have to pay.

This may be a stupid question, but why do you run two web servers? Could one be hosted on your +Net web space?
Community Veteran

ip's

You dont have to pay but you can only have 8 IPs on a business account. The max for a home account is 4 (2 usuable).

Chris
N/A

ip's

Can you not simply run two virtual servers under Apache? Or are you getting too much traffic?
N/A

ip's

There is no technical reason why more addresses couldn'e be assigned.

Apart from the declining availability of IP addresses (roll on IPv6)....
N/A

ip's

Can you not simply run two virtual servers under Apache? Or are you getting too much traffic?

Two seperate IP addresses will not solve traffic related issue.

We are talking ADSL here, where traffic can only return at 256kb/s. Even an old 386 will handle this.
N/A

ip's

Sure... but he may be running out of processing "grunt" which is why he wants two separate boxes? Cheesy Apache is easy to set up with dozens of virtual servers.... can be as simple as creating a new directory. Cheesy