cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

internet speed

N/A

internet speed

i have had pn for several months now but in the last month or so i have not been able to play my favourite online game. i checked the speed with internetfrog.com and pn own speed checker.i was astounded to find out that even though i pay for 'up to 8 meg',the speeds i get are very slow.this is the first time ive ever checked these forums and i am dumbfounded by the amount of people with a similar problem to me. i tried to tell pn about it but they say its always some other problem and even threatened me with a £46 odd charge if bt say there is nothing wrong with the line. i am considering changing providers immediately because basically pn are shit.
18 REPLIES
N/A

internet speed

The contract say up to 8 meg very few people actual get that speed. It depends on your line how far you are from the exchange and other factors.

You dont say what speed you actually get or give any details. If you go to another ISP the chances are you speed would be the same due to the conditions I have explained. Another ISP can only provide the service on the same telephone line
N/A

internet speed

thats a load of old cobblers and you know it,i pay for up to 8mg when i considered pn ,they said i was able to receive 8mg now ur saying i cant.i might as well downgrade to the crappiest service u got because thats all im getting. so dont come replying to me on here with your smug answers because im leaving anyway.
N/A

internet speed

also,while im at it,i was with bulldog before and although the customer service was nearly as bad as pn at least i got the speed and it was 3 times as fast as ur rubbish so i am capable of receiving high speed broadband.so what other factors are there,i live 200 metres from the telephone exchange?
N/A

internet speed

Read your contract, for me to get my MAC code it will cost me £57.60.
Read my post: Contract
N/A

internet speed

yeah m8,i know how much it will cost,but i think it will be a small price to pay to get rid of these idiots.anyway im going to report them to OFT
flicker
Grafter

internet speed

Way hay, another satisfied customer.... :lol:

Don't blame you mate, I may be next. Every night between 5pm and 11pm, may as well not bother, with the speeds currently being achieved. And there's nothing wrong with my line or set up either.
N/A

internet speed

Reminds me of a story about Col Tom Parker Elvis's manager who had a club called the Snowman's club for all of his show biz friends ( to snow someone is to cheat them ).

It cost nothing to join but a $1,000 if you wanted to leave. Tongue
N/A

internet speed

Please dont be abusive to people trying to help. We are customers just like and dont get paid or anything off Plus net. We dont claim to know everything we are just trying to help people by giving up our time for free.

So please respect that and save your abuse for Plus net not members trying to help
N/A

internet speed

i cant see where anyone on here has been personally abusive towards you.everything i said was directed at plus net. but to be honest if you come on here defending plus net and not getting paid or anything then you deserve abusive for being a plus net bitch
N/A

internet speed

hurlock71 : How can you blame anyone else for your ignorance in the filed of MaxDSL and how it works, it is your, yes, YOUR fault that you are disappointed in the speeds, for if you actually knew how it worked then you would not be surprised at the speeds you get. When are you leaving, PN could do with one less idiot.
N/A

internet speed

i dont care how it works. what i do care about is the 21.99 i pay a month to plusnet for their service.i dont care how they provide it.if they cant provide it then at least explain why they cant provide it.something which they havent done so far.all they keep saying is distance to exchange blah blah blah. the only idiots on this board are the ones who are getting mugged off by plus net and still defending them. ie you and your m8 with the white beard.
N/A

internet speed

Im not on plusnet so nerr :p

[ends childish rant]

right, MaxDSL is a very VERY sensitive way of connecting you to the internet, basically your router and the exchange work out a speed that they can sync at (the speed you see) which is stable as far as it can be to give you the best (by best i mean stable) connection for the given line you are on.

Now the speed that it syncs at is governed by a few factors, mostly the SNR (signal to noise ratio) and the dB (decibel) level on your line (the line that runs from your router -> the exchange. the higher the SNR and dB the lower the sync you will get as the line can not maintain a high sync and stay stable (will drop the connection every min or so) this is why you have a training period when you went over to maxDSL (10 days) where the router and the DSLAM (exchange) learn what each end is capable of and as such after the 10 days pick the best speed for you.

The SNR et al is dependent on the distance you are from the exchange, as the further away you are from it, the more noise you get along it, and as such, a lower sync will be given. Now this has nout to do with PlusNET as its ruled by BT, PN just offer you the link, BT sorts out what speed the link can be via what is known as a BRAS rate (the speed you can have that gives you a stable connection)

Thus, the further away you are from the exchange, the greater the interference on the line, and as such, the lower sync you get, thus slower internet.

Hope that helps.
N/A

internet speed

thank you for your help that is very useful.sorry to be so rude but as im sure you will understand it is very frustrating when you cant play your favourite game. i live 2-300m from the exchange.all i want is a good ping.last night from about 2030 until 0230am it was great,i just only wish it was like that all the time now.
N/A

internet speed

Im not on plusnet so nerr :p

[ends childish rant]

right, MaxDSL is a very VERY sensitive way of connecting you to the internet, basically your router and the exchange work out a speed that they can sync at (the speed you see) which is stable as far as it can be to give you the best (by best i mean stable) connection for the given line you are on.

Now the speed that it syncs at is governed by a few factors, mostly the SNR (signal to noise ratio) and the dB (decibel) level on your line (the line that runs from your router -> the exchange. the higher the SNR and dB the lower the sync you will get as the line can not maintain a high sync and stay stable (will drop the connection every min or so) this is why you have a training period when you went over to maxDSL (10 days) where the router and the DSLAM (exchange) learn what each end is capable of and as such after the 10 days pick the best speed for you.

The SNR et al is dependent on the distance you are from the exchange, as the further away you are from it, the more noise you get along it, and as such, a lower sync will be given. Now this has nout to do with PlusNET as its ruled by BT, PN just offer you the link, BT sorts out what speed the link can be via what is known as a BRAS rate (the speed you can have that gives you a stable connection)

Thus, the further away you are from the exchange, the greater the interference on the line, and as such, the lower sync you get, thus slower internet.

Hope that helps.

If my router says that my download connection speed is 3360kbps why did I get a maximum of 300kbps originally but now only 61kbps to 202.2kbps?

This is a question PlusNet cannot seem to answer...