cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

internet connection hangs

N/A

Hi, recently hooked up with plusnet (2mb service)

Got the free BT usb modem.

Everything works fine, but then, every so often, the internet connection just hangs (when surfing).

I usually have to wait about thirty seconds, then it starts up again. During the time that it hangs, there is no activity shown (on the internet status icon on the bottom right)

As you can imagine. This is extremely irritating. More often than not, I just quit out of IE, then open it again, doing this a couple of times usually 'jump starts' internet activity again.

This ALWAYS happens when I launch IE for the first time (after having started my computer). It connects to plusnet (my username and password are verified) then its just "finding www.plus.net" and nothing happens, no activity, nothing.

This continues until I restart IE, second time round, it usually connects properly.

I'm sure this is somewhat related.

When I rang technical support they told me to put in some specific DNS addresses. This has not made a difference.

Can anyone think of why my connection is hanging like this? Do you think it could be the fact that I'm connecting through USB? I've always heard that its a fairly poor way of connecting (as opposed to ethernet)

Many thanks for any help / replies, I want to avoid being told this is a common line problem.

Cheers
6 REPLIES
N/A

anyone?
N/A

i get the same problem on a router
thanks
N/A

Hi,

I had the same problem, since moving to +net.

The solution i found was to lower my MTU to 1430 on my router and LAN cards and fingers crossed it has not happened since Cheesy

There is lots of info here and on the web for changing your MTU etc [google is your friend], but id reccomend "drtcp" for this method Cheesy

Good luck Smiley
N/A

I noticed that also when I first joined Plusnet. Upgrading to a router from a modem seemed to fix it for me. My MTU is 1458 if thats any help.
N/A

For excellent advice on MTU and tweaking see this courtesy of kitz.
N/A

Yup thts where i got my 1430 from, good site tbh.

Unfortunatly i spoke too soon and am getting disconnected again this evening :@

Didnt have this trouble on a lesser "quality" package from bt, seriously baffled.