cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

improving SNR

N/A

improving SNR

i was suffering the netgear connection problems that pn has now fixed, however im still recieving some.. and i think ive found out why..

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2272 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 37 db 12 db
Noise Margin 3 db 25 db

the 3db noise margin is awful from what ive read, and im wondering what can be done other than new panel, wiring etc. i dont recall previously having many problems and my exchange looks fine, could it simply be the time of the year? bad weather etc.

hope someone has some original ideas for me =)
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

improving SNR

What stats do you get if you plug the router into the master socket and the test socket behind the user removable lower panel of the master socket?

If your figures are higher then it's your internal wiring at fault., a falty ADSL filter or one of your phones is causing a problem.

Also try in your normal connection with no other phones connected.

3db is bad, it needs to be above 7 and ideally above 10 for a reliable connection.
N/A

improving SNR

cheers for the reply,

those stats are from the main socket, albeit not with the panel removed and with phones still connected, tho i did remove the sky box and didnt see a difference at all.

i thought id get a little more info b4 taking the house apart, but im pretty convinced its not going to make a great deal of difference.

what do u make of the high upstream snr, but low downstream, is this normal or could my router potentially be at fault? i find the difference strange, after all its the same bit of wire and obviously being a ratio the lower upstream bandwidth wouldnt affect this figure =S
Community Veteran

improving SNR

The upstream data uses a different frequency range to the downstream data so can be affected in different ways by the quality of the line. It is not unusual to see a high SNR on upstream.

SNR is very difficult to improve, especially if what you are getting is from the master socket. Try on the test socket to rule out any internal wiring or other interference and if that is still bad, your only option is to raise a fault via contact us. However, if BT deem your line not suitable for 2Mbs they will downgrade you to 1Mbs are there will be very little you can to to stop this. So it's your choice... live with the problem of report it and possibly get a slower speed connection.