cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

illegal downloads&shared adsl connection, who's responsi

N/A

Hi,
We are thinking of signing up for broadband but I was wondering, if person B downloads lots of illegal stuff like dvds or shares their music and gets caught, will he/she be responsible or will it be whoever signs up for the broadband?

Is it possible to get more names on the account?

Reason I ask is that I share a house with 6 of my friends at uni, if I sign up for the adsl I obviously don't want to be left responsible for what everyone else does!

Thanks
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

It is the person named on the account that is responsible and who will be contacted should illegal downloads be discovered.

So in your case, if you sign up for it, you will be responsible for it's use or mis-use.

You can't have multiple names on the ADSL account, you can on the BT phone line itself though but that won't help in this situation.
N/A

Thanks for the reply, I guess I will block a few ports when it's all working then.

Thanks
Alecto
Grafter

Technically, provided you did not know they were doing illegal downloads, a prosecution should fail.
Why not warn them not to do so, or if you're that way inclined get them to sign an agreement not to do so?
Blocking ports won't help you as this should be easy to get round if the downloader is determined enough.
Community Veteran

If you are not interested in P2P yourself, it is possible to select the “Surf” option under “Connection settings”
Worried about bandwidth-hungry applications such as peer to peer (P2P) software or binary newsgroups being used on your account? Then activate the Surf option. With Surf turned on you can still access the web, chat, email and play online games but access to P2P and binary newsgroups is restricted – giving you security and added peace of mind.

Chilly
Community Veteran

Technically, provided you did not know they were doing illegal downloads, a prosecution should fail.

I would also agree, but the cost of defending that action, would be high.

Chilly