cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ie keeps freezing

N/A

ie keeps freezing

just wondering if anyone has suffered the same :?: . ie will load the page but the progress bars freeze when complete for up to 1min. i am tearing my hair out. any ideas please !!!
thanks in advance
karl Sad
14 REPLIES
Eserim
Rising Star

ie keeps freezing

if you possiblibly can I would seriously think about changing browser to either FireFox
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

or Mozilla

http://www.mozilla.org/

IE6 is several years old now and MS are not to be developing it further outside of Windows - ie to get any new versions of IE you'll need the new Windows or latest service packs (I believe)

Both the browser above come with tabbed browsing, popup blockers, cookie management, image blockers and a whole host of other features that make them better and faster than IE.

If you have no choice in the matter you may want to try an IE repair - under "Add/Remove" programs from control Panel, if you selct IE - you should get an option to "Repair" - if you do have this option it may help.

Chris
N/A

ie keeps freezing

There's a similar report here, very odd !
Alec
N/A

ie keeps freezing

Yes that is my previous post mentioned, I am having the exact same problem and driving me mad too. Tried loads of things suggested here and elswhere with no joy. Resorted to using Netscape at the moment which I quite like anyway. Probably have a go at the other broswers suggested as mozzila sounds very good.
Looks like IE is corrupt somewhere on my machine so only a complete re-install will probably fix it.
Let me know if you find a fix!
Eserim
Rising Star

ie keeps freezing

If you just want a browser (not email, chat etc) then Mozilla has gotten a bit big - FireFox is the Browser only component that will shortly form the browser component of Mozilla - so I'd say you would be better off on that one - it now has a standard windows installer, although you will need to install extra plugins initially to get stuff like Flash, Java Applets, and stuff to work - but if you are on Broadband 9and I guess you are given the forum) then the extra downloads don't take long.

Chris
N/A

ie keeps freezing

Just a thought , are you using windows default
MTU setting ie;1500 ?
N/A

ie keeps freezing

many thanks for the words of advice
aleca - i am on the standard settings, haven't been brave enough to play with anything yet - using the "don't fix wot aint broke" policy!! (until now of course)
does this significantly improve speeds or is it a minor tweek ?

ran sfc last nite to no avail, will try the repair option from "add/remove" tonite
if that all fails then mozilla / firefox it is. am loathe to completely re-install everything AGAIN.
will let you know how it goes

karl
N/A

ie keeps freezing

Look at the MTU tweak topic DrTCP is very easy to
use you can restore the Windows defaults by blanking the boxes nothing to worry about, it may help.
Alec
N/A

ie keeps freezing

Tweaking is exactly what is says, wringing the last ounce out of the connection.
So, you could say it is really a minor improvement (you are not going to double your speed for example)
N/A

ie keeps freezing

have installed firefox, (IE Repair failed) and its brilliant, so much quicker
think i'll give Gate's toy the "spanish archer"....
thanks again guys (or gals)
will have a go at the tweek when i've had another "brave pill"

karl
Eserim
Rising Star

ie keeps freezing

Cheesy didn't want to rave too much about FireFox as sometimes I get put off by people saying how brill their fave software is - but FireFox is the future of browsers.

Chris
N/A

ie keeps freezing

Firefox is also my default browser but I find
it sometimes doesn't work with some webpages,
(fault of web designers not firefox) so I need to use
IE6 as backup. To be honest tweaking and the registry changes
have made IE6 as fast as Firefox, on my system anyhow.
I also tried the re - install method (out of curiosity)
and it didn't work on my PC either. Don't know what
Microsoft are playing at.
Alec
Community Veteran

ie keeps freezing

You still need IE for windows updates - while you can download the individual patches it is much easier to install via Windows update. Also as said above, some sites will only run on IE, especially those that use active X which some of the online virus scanners do.
N/A

ie keeps freezing

Reinstalling IE6 can work if you have not done any Windows Updates that include IE components.
The latest IE6 download is always a few updates behind. If you have done a Windows Update and it has included some security updates for IE6 (which most updates seem to be), when you try to reinstall IE6 it sees the newer files and says you have a newer version of IE6 and installation cannot continue.
Of course, you cannot remove the newer files, because Windows will stop working !!!
Chicken and Egg situation.
Community Veteran

ie keeps freezing

It is possible to reinstall IE6 and OE6 with a simple registry change.

See http://www.theeldergeek.com/repair_reinstall_ie_and_oe_6.htm but read it all before proceeding.

Some other links that may help with reinstall issues:

http://www.mcse.ms/message348707.html (links to getting IE6 and some tools to remove all traces of it so you can reinstall - use with care!!!)

And an MSKB article: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=kb;en-us;Q318378