cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to make p2p go faster

N/A

P2P problems.

First off I must say as a user of the forums who often posts helpful hints and answers post I am disgusted at some users who get abusive when you try and help. I am not anything to do with Plus net I am just a users like everyone else but I and many others give up some of our free time to try and help we are not here to be abused. We don’t claim to know all the answers but do our best and with over 18 years in IT we hope we help a lot of people.

What we have now is a road and myself and other can speed down this road at 100 mph but some users in old or untuned cars can only do 20mph and these people are blaming the owner or the road(the road being plus nets network) Its clear if some can use it at 100 mph then the road is not the problem and whingeing at the road owns wont help. Its no use saying its because your road is congested as mostly we are all on the same road

There are many forms of p2p but most have the same principle. Lets say fred has a brand new film to share that everyone want and he puts it on p2p, the film is on his pc. Everyone searches for this film and find it on freds pc. He has a upload limit on his pc of 30k so if 10 users connect to his pc they will only get 3k download others will be in the queue. After some time as these 10 users will have download some of the film and other users can then start to get some of it from them so you can then download from lots of users. The limit is that fred is still the only users with it all. As the other 10 get it all the numbers increase but of those 10 6 may then delete it.

You can see from this that its not a high speed download as most users restrict their uploads or they will be swamped. Its not like MS who have massive servers and can supply users with 10 meg download speeds.

Other things now come into play firstly most networks give users some form of ID or ranking this is based on the network being able to gain access to you pc via certain ports (ie you must have ports forwarded on your router) if it cant get this access it knocks your ranking down for not playing properly. Next it looks to see if you are a lecher (ie you only take but don’t upload anything) this again knock down you ID. So with the case of fred only high ranking users will get the film.

Next comes your connection how good is it and have you restricted it? The main problem now is

What's this EventID 4226?
The EventID 4226 means, that there are to many concurrent TCP connection attempts. A connection attemp is a query to a computer, if it accept the TCP connection or not. If the computer is for example no more existent, it will be waited for a few seconds, until a timeout occurs and the connection attemp get canceled.
Since XP SP2 there are only 10 concurrent TCP connection attempts possible, while in SP1 it has not been limited.

Remove the limit on TCP connection attempts

Windws XP SP2 introduces a few new twists to TCP/IP in order to babysit users and "reduce the threat" of worms spreading fast without control. In one such attempt, the devs seem to have limited the number of possible TCP connection attempts per second to 10 (from unlimited in SP1). This argumentative feature can possibly affect server and P2P programs that need to open many outbound connections at the same time.

Rant: The forward thinking of Microsoft developers here is that you can only infect 10 new systems per second via TCP/IP ?!?... If you also consider that each of those infected computers will infect 10 others at the same rate:
second 1: 1+10 computers
second 2: 10+10*10 computers (110 new ones)
second 3: 10+100*10 computers ( 1110 new ones)
second 4: 10+1000*10 computers (11110 new ones)
all the way to 10*60 + 10^60 computers in a single minute (that's a number with 60 digits, or it would far exceed Earth's population). Even if we consider that 90% of those computers are unreachable/protected, one would still reach ALL of them within a minute.

In other words, even though it is not going to stop worm spreading, it's going to delay it a few seconds, limit possible network congestion a bit, and limit the use of your PC to 10 connection attempts per second in the process ! I have no problem with the new default setting limiting outbound connection attempts. Still, users should have the option to easily disable or change this setting. I might be going out on a limb here, but ever since the introduction of Windows XP I can't help thinking that I dislike all the bult-in Windows "wisardry" in a sense that the system also limits user access. That irritating trend to ease the mental load on end users is somewhat insulting, considering that Windows is to make the more "intelligent" choice instead of the end user, as well as limit their access to tuning such settings...
End of rant.

With the new implementation, if a P2P or some other network program attempts to connect to 100 sites at once, it would only be able to connect to 10 per second, so it would take it 10 seconds to reach all 100. In addition, even though the setting was registry editable in XP SP1, it is now only possible to edit by changing it directly in the system file tcpip.sys. To make matters worse, that file is in use, so you also need to be in Safe mode in order to edit it.

You only need to worry about the number of connection attempts per second if you have noticed a slowdown in network programs requiring a number of connections opened at once. You can check if you're hitting this limit from the Event Viewer, under System - look for TCP/IP Warnings saying: "TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts". Keep in mind this is a cap only on incomplete outbound connect attempts per second, not total connections. Still, running servers and P2P programs can definitely be affected by this new limitation. Use the fix as you see fit.

To change or remove the limit, you can use the following program:

http://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=downloads

there are other tweaks you can do see my page
http://www.janwright.co.uk/software/tweek.htm

If you take the time to try the tcip patch and other tweaks you may find its not the road but the car that wanted tweaking.
In essence make sure you have ports open.
Share some files
Patch tcip
Tweak your settings
Don’t go over your download limit or restrictions will apply.
Try and download at none peak times
14 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

I'm afraid your road analogy is a little simplistic although useable

The thing is that it is not just one road but several that run in parallel with different occupancies (a little like the M6 and M6 Toll) and this is one of the reasons one person's speedy journey can be coexisting with someone elses gridlocked nightmare!

Couple that with some folk being in modern, nicely tuned limos while others are in Austin 7s and yet more are in vehicles capable of fast travel but with a speed limiter arbitrarily fitted and malajusted by one of the two highways authorities and some areas being coned off into speed limited lanes according to what vehicles are carrying at the time and you have a recipe for some highly irate motorists Tongue
N/A

help, i've got a puncture
would the AA get me back up to decent speeds?
N/A

some users in old or untuned cars can only do 20mph and these people are blaming the owner or the road(the road being plus nets network) Its clear if some can use it at 100 mph then the road is not the problem

I asked my satnav for an alternate route a few days back, turned off at a junction and found much less congestion, I reach my destinations in a fraction of the time it would on the Mplusnet. And without all the stop-start in heavy traffic I can go further on the same tank of fuel and reach places I'd never thought practical to visit before.

There are some roadworks though, waiting for some workmen to come and paint some white lines and remove the cones before opening up another lane.

My £0.03 (inc VAT)

Migrated on Monday, changed nothing of significance other than the username and password in the router. My PC is not old or untuned, running KTorrent on Linux (Kubuntu/6.06), if there is an equivalent setting I wouldn't know where to find it.
N/A

Without getting to technical as that wasnt the idea. The road is from your house to the local exchange then to plusnet. Once on plusnet we are all on the same road basicly. The difference is your local roads which isnt plus net.

The idea was to give advice as how the tcip fix and other thing can help as many will be suffering as a result of the limit set by MS
shellsong
Grafter

One of my points was that once on PlusNet we are not necessarily on the same road-- shift to a different gateway and you'll see what I mean, apart from those poor souls who are restricted to one gateway!

I get your point about the fixes you're trying to explain though-- my apologies if I've clouded that issue a bit!
GersFans
Grafter

I appreciate your attempts to "enlighten" some p2p users in the tweaks they can do to help with connections, but:

Are you blind to or simply ignoring the hundreds of posts about slow p2p and the PLUSNET STAFF REPLIES to those posts?

Because quite simply, if you did read them you would know there is a severe problem admitted by plusnet, and its not simply a case of tweak and see [remember we have been going through this for several months now and tried many many tweaks...].
Community Veteran

Re: how to make p2p go faster

First off I must say as a user of the forums who often posts helpful hints and answers post I am disgusted at some users who get abusive when you try and help. I am not anything to do with Plus net I am just a users like everyone else but I and many others give up some of our free time to try and help we are not here to be abused. We don’t claim to know all the answers but do our best and with over 18 years in IT we hope we help a lot of people.

I do not believe that MrRight was trying to absolve PlusNet of blame for all users slow speeds, but to give a balanced and helpful explanation of p2p.

Some users are suffering slow speed on p2p and file sharing, but this is often caused as they are trying to use products that are not suitable for p2p such as "Plus", or are exceeding their download limits / product design.

Its just a shame that PlusNet are less than honest on with their product designs, and what they are suitable for.

Chilly
N/A

Re: how to make p2p go faster

I do not believe that MrRight was trying to absolve PlusNet of blame for all users slow speeds, but to give a balanced and helpful explanation of p2p.

Well thats the problem isn't it, how you define what mwrite was trying to say. The way i read it..He WAS placing the blame solely on the customer(in the original p2p thread) and to be honest he has simply not got a grip on what is being pointed out to him.

Im sorry he feels "Abused", i cant help it if hes a little over sensitive, but the fact of the matter is, some of his comments were factually incorrect and his arguments as to why it wasn't a PN problem were severely flawed.
I appreciate anyone who gives their time up to offer advice and help others, but you don't help anyone when you start saying things that are completely untrue.
18 years of IT experience mean nothing im afraid. PCWORLD have 18 years of IT experience as well id imagine...and their staff don't know what they are talking about either.

gersfans and shellsong have tried to point out the fact that mwright is incorrect as well, sometimes you've got to hold your hands up and admit you've got it wrong.

Help people by all means....just make sure your arming them with the correct information, or it does more harm than good.
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

"some of his comments were FACTUALLY INCORRECT"

Hi,

just so people know could you explain which bits of the post are incorrect and correct them for us to give us a clearer explaination.

Thanks.
N/A

sure....This statement for one
"I am using P2P with no problems so its not Plus net."

Probably the worst answer you can give....There is no possible way you can say that with any conviction. Its simply not true.
It demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of how things work.

In using his own 'roads and cars' analogy, he's forgotten to take into account those people in lovely new perfectly tuned cars who were able to use the road at 100mph but woke up one morning to find they couldn't get over 5mph, but nothing had changed on their cars, and the 'local roads' were reporting no problems.

" Once on plusnet we are all on the same road basicly" this is again NOT TRUE..the Ellacoyas make sure of that and as they are buggy, people with the same 'cars' can get wildly differing performance.(not to mention different gateway performance as well)

All the stuff in mwrights first post in this thread is all good, sensible advice and a good explanation of how p2p works and theres some good tips for getting things set up correctly.

Its those people that have already got everything set up correctly and were getting decent speed and then for no reason at their end started to get nothing/very low speed that he hasn't taken into account.

There isn't a 57 page thread on p2p speeds in community support because people don't know how to set up their torrent clients/windows you know Wink
Community Veteran

The difficulty here is no amount of tweaking of your PC/P2P app is going to make any difference to your speeds. Why? because it is PlusNet that is slowing it all down through traffic shaping.

One of the items in mwrights post relates to concurrent connections. This has no impact on throughput speed at all. All that does is restrict the number of simultaneous connections Windows will allow and this tends to only be a factor when you try to initially connect to a new torrent. The problems we are seeing is not how long it takes to connect to multiple torrent sources but the speed of throughput once those connections have been established. So tweaking the TCPIP limit in windows will have zero affect on the problems we are seeing. Also many P2P apps can limit the number of concurrent connections anyway so removes the problem of failed attempts due to the Windows Limit.

While I appreciate the OP trying to help, it is PlusNet that is the problem here, not how well your P2P app or PC is set-up.
N/A

I think everyone is missing the point I wrote this in a format that’s understandable by none technical people to give them and idea of tweaks which may help them. Not everyone is an expert and many don’t understand what is needed. I am not hear to defend Plus net but to help but simply logging onto the portal and slagging off Plus net doesn’t solve anything. If people post what their p2p is and details of their setup we can be more specific and help to maximize their settings.

The problem with the whole situations is there is so many p2p and each have their quirks. In this type of article you can only generalize which is why people need to state facts and not blow hot air. I have 3 pc’s running with Kazza, emule and limewire and we get good speeds on them all. The question is then why are some getting good speeds and not other? The tcip setting do have a big effect on emule I know from experience. It is essentially true that we are all on the same road though certain gateways may be worse than others but as I said its often local exchange that is congested which plus net have no control over.

While we are all on the same road some may be trying to get stuff from the states and that road may be congested while I may be getting my stuff from China which may be ok. This comes back to the point of users stating their problems so we can help. In order to help we need information if we find that people download p2p and the source is china and you get good speeds but if you get sources from the states they are slow then we can act on this information most p2p give you a way of checking the ip of the source/server which you can then check via tracert or similar this then shows were the bottle neck is.

If people do this and post the result then we have evidence if its plus net or the rest of the world, 2 tracert to emule servers show no problems on plus nets servers/routers. So am I just lucky or am I using good servers/suppliers? Lets have some tracerts so we have evidence not hot air

Tracing route to 62.241.53.2 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 35 ms 30 ms 82 ms lo0-plusnet.ptn-ag2.plus.net [195.166.128.53]
3 72 ms 27 ms 34 ms ge1-0-0-204.ptn-gw2.plus.net [84.92.3.106]
4 34 ms 32 ms 30 ms ge-4-1.metro2-londencyh00.London1.Level3.net [21
2.113.11.41]
5 29 ms 97 ms 29 ms so-1-2-0.gar2.London1.Level3.net [212.113.0.118]

6 29 ms 29 ms 29 ms ae-0-52.bbr2.London1.Level3.net [4.68.116.34]
7 35 ms 38 ms 35 ms as-1-0.mp2.Amsterdam1.Level3.net [212.187.128.26
]
8 36 ms 38 ms 37 ms ge-11-0.ipcolo1.Amsterdam1.Level3.net [4.68.120.
41]
9 72 ms 46 ms 45 ms 212.72.45.234
10 44 ms 37 ms 39 ms 62.241.53.2

Tracing route to 80-239-200-108.customer.teliacarrier.com [80.239.200.108]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 71 ms 29 ms 31 ms lo0-plusnet.ptn-ag2.plus.net [195.166.128.53]
3 29 ms 28 ms 28 ms ge1-0-0-204.ptn-gw2.plus.net [84.92.3.106]
4 27 ms 30 ms 32 ms ge-4-1.metro2-londencyh00.London1.Level3.net [21
2.113.11.41]
5 65 ms 58 ms 58 ms so-1-2-0.gar2.London1.Level3.net [212.113.0.118]

6 112 ms 125 ms 87 ms ae-22-54.car2.London1.Level3.net [4.68.116.112]

7 28 ms 30 ms 75 ms telia-level3-ge.London1.Level3.net [4.68.111.182
]
8 27 ms 27 ms 31 ms ldn-bb2-pos6-1-0.telia.net [213.248.64.49]
9 44 ms 74 ms 58 ms adm-bb2-pos6-0-0.telia.net [213.248.65.158]
10 68 ms 36 ms 81 ms adm-tc2-i1-gi1-1-link.telia.net [213.248.72.26]

11 67 ms 36 ms 121 ms 80-239-200-108.customer.teliacarrier.com [80.239
.200.108]
Community Veteran

Traceroutes and P2P access are handled completely differently by the traffic shaping equipment so a good traceroute does not mean a good P2P speed. Pings/traceroutes are passed through unhindered, P2P traffic is heavily affected so the two are not a fair comparison of speeds.

While your comments are general in nature, it does not actually matter as it is PN throttling the speeds and they have stated they are in many posts and reports over the past few months.

What is frustrating is some people are getting good P2P speeds and some (I would say the majority) are not, yet they are on the same packages and when testing was done, downloading the same well seeded torrents.
N/A

While traces may not show traffic shaping it will show if the problem is with the route which may help to find the problem.

People should download whats transferring FREE from

http://www.wfshome.com/software.htm

This gives you a better idea and you can capture and view packets. It may surprise a few people to see how many connection they have open. I counted nearly 200 with email, updates, p2p, av etc and it may show some that they are indeed exceeding the tcip limit, it may also show that they have stuff connecting they didnt know about hogging bandwidth.

tcip view from
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/tcpview.html

is also a good freebee which will show up connections

many p2p have stats and details within the program to help like showing your id rating and userage/bandwidth