cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to check max line speed

N/A

As topic suggests

how do you check (externally from pn) what your max line speed can be?
from f2s it said between 516k - 2mb (which is quite frankly pointless info)

form PN
Closed : Changed account as customer was unable to do this online.
Also advised that 1Mb is the fastest the line will currently support.

Regards,
10 REPLIES
N/A

Best thing is to call BT Wholsale. I can't remember their number to be honest. Maybe someone in here might know it and will post it. They will do some tests for you and check your line Smiley
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,

BT Wholesale will not speak to you, as you are not a customer of theirs, but rather a customer of an ISP. The ISP is BT Wholesales customer.

It is not possible to say what the fastest speed your line can support is. We can only perform a line test that provides us with attuation figures. From this, we can provide a rough guess what speed can be provided, bassed on what BT Wholesale say is the limit for each speed.

Bear in mind, these speeds are only those bassed on existing products, and not what real world speeds could actualy be povided.

Kind Regards,
N/A

seems a bit of a shame I have to take the word of my supplier
in no other purchase would this be acceptable let along execpted as the norm

thanks for the replies
I'll sit quietly in the corner stuck on my 1Mb Sad
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

It would be of no use to PlusNet to purposly keep you down on 1Mb if your line could support 2Mb. The cost to them is no different.

Phil
prichardson
Grafter

seems a bit of a shame I have to take the word of my supplier
in no other purchase would this be acceptable let along execpted as the norm

Hi,

I beg to differ.

Digital terrestrial TV springs to mind when you raise this. It is both expected and the norn that even though there are checkers that suggest you can receive a digital signal, they do not gurentee you will.

Only the process of trying will confirm it in both the case of digital terestrial and ADSL.

Kind Regards,
N/A

It doesnt really matter any way, seen as after a woosh test, plus agreed that my line was 1mb compatable. And bt refused the upgrade, so i;m stuck on 512, even though next door, with a line from the same pole are fine for 1mb...
N/A

I rang BT Wholesale on some freephone number that BT operator gave me Smiley
They spoke to me and even got a Technical support guy out to check and fix my line to the exchange. This was when I was with AOL when they refused to escalate the issue to BT.
N/A

Stick your telephone number and postcode in the below link and it will give you an estimation of what speed you can get.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php
N/A

I rang BT Wholesale on some freephone number that BT operator gave me Smiley

and this illusive number is?

Stick your telephone number and postcode in the below link and it will give you an estimation of what speed you can get.

Not the best of help as f2s found my line to be in a 512k - 2m range this found:-

Congratulations, you are in a broadband enabled area.
However, there appears to a compatibility issue with your phone line. This could be caused by an existing broadband connection, ISDN, a DACS unit, TPON, a pending ADSL order or many other common issues.
glyndev
Grafter

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

Tried that and found that the results are inconsistant.

I entered my post code (relates to about 10 houses all on the same telegraph pole) and the result says that I can get 1M.

I entered my phone number and it said that I can only get 512k (on this already).

So it definately shows that the line checkers that are available are not totally accurate.