cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how long does it take bt's maxdsl sped to adjust to new snr

Community Veteran

I moved my dsl router to main socket and the snr improved to such that according to http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm my line should be able to give not far off the 8mbs speed. On checking the bt broadband page it still quoates my maxdsl speed as being about 3mbs which is what the pre move router stats would have given me. My exchange is maxdsl but i'm waiting for the free upgrade.

now that my line stats are much better how long does it take bt's side of things to recognise the change and up the speed my line could theoretically take.

is it the same 10 days that it would take for my maxdsl line to be montiored and set if i had maxdsl on my line already.

cheers

A
8 REPLIES
N/A

Sorry, I am slightly confused by this post, could you confirm please do you or do you not have maxdsl on your line at this time (plus.net will have sent an email if you have)
Community Veteran

no on a maxdsl exchnage but not on a maxdsl line. Wjen i run the bt bb cecker it obviusly knows my stats as it quaoted the max speed of 3mbs. What I'm wondering is how long will it take for this figure to reflect my new possable max speed with me new stats.

A
Highlighted
avalon
Grafter

From what I understand everytime you unplug/reboot/change equipment the maxDSL exchange retests your line for 10 days then determines the new best speed. I think it starts at the last saved speed and tries from there.

I'm not sure what happens if you power down your ADSL modem every night though. Presumably it would never complete 10 days of testing so you would never get an optimum line speed.
Community Veteran

i do tned to turn it of at night as I also turn of my pc. For what I rememebr you only need to log on for an average of 45 mins per day for the 10 days then your speed is set to the max stable rate over that period.

A
N/A

no on a maxdsl exchnage but not on a maxdsl line.

Then your speed will only change when you either upgrade to the up to 8Mbps package to que jump, get put on the trial or BT finish the rollout so that PN can put though the bulk regrades Im affraid, you do not automatically get maxdsl speeds on your line without being regraded from IPStream Home to IPStream Home Max.
Community Veteran

I know the only way I'll actually get the upgrade is via either paying now or waiting to the free upgrade. I was basically enquiring who long it will take the bt side of things to update my theoretical top speed.

Presumably as it's able to tell me the max theoretical speed my line would take before moving the router it will be able to tell me the new max theoretical speed it could take now I have moved it and my stats have improved. There is obviusly some monitoring going on of my line stats to give the pre move indication. My neighbours line has always shown 8mps

A
N/A

@amcclean - the BT checker wont get updated. it very rarly does unless requested. It will most likely always say 3mbit.

When you get regraded onto DslMAX it will determine the max speed of your line over 10days reglardless of what the BT cheker says. So if your line can support 7 and check says 3... you'll get 7.

No need to worry
Community Veteran

cheers srae88,

just what i'd wanted to hear. now do i jump the que or wait :?: