cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how far away in miles are you away from...

N/A

your bt exchange or whatever its called? whats the maximum distance?
12 REPLIES
N/A

5.5km is the maximum physical size that your line can be.

You may live 4km away, but your line could still be too long.

I think.
willow147
Grafter

I live about 0.5 miles away and have (fortunately) to date had no problems. Cheesy
N/A

I am quite a way away and am very lucky to be able to get ADSL.
N/A

Distance

I have only been connected to the service for about 4 days nows so I am interested in all aspects of adsl.
I consider myself to be about 2 miles or so away from my local BT exchange so I have been running the PlusNet Bandwidth Meter to test my connection.Im am getting various results from 303 to 472 even though I cant seem to scroll down the results page to see the results in full.
JasonC
Dabbler

For BT's "ADSL" service (It's actually a Rate Adaptive DSL service from wholesale - e.g that Plus Net & everyone else buy for you) your line must have < 55 dB of loss - which equates to being roughly (very!) 5.5Km from your exchange.

The "Extended Reach Trial" which is underway puts this up to 6 Km (60 dB of loss).

BT stated I was 6.08 km from my exchange (really 60.8 dB loss). An engineer test (totally out of the blue) put me at 52.2 dB.

Basically insist on getting an engineer to test the line if you're borderline.
N/A

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,my green box is round my corner,,,infact if i stand on my bed and put my head out my window i can see the green exchange....litterllty 100 metters from my house....

PlusNet Bandwidth Meter

Your current bandwidth reading is:

1.78 Mbps

Which means you can download at 227.64 KB/sec. from our servers
N/A

This green box is simply a concentrator cabinet (the proper name I do not know) and not your exchange.

On each pole, several customer wires are concentrated into a larger cable. This goes to the cabinet, at which point they are concentrated into a larger cable again.

An exchange is a building usualy larger than a house, is where all these larger cables concentrate and are transported across the main network.

It also houses the DSLAMs, which is what your line is connected to, and supports all the ADSL customers in your area.
N/A

well the building is 250 meters i think the green box is for the industraly astate bit they proberly have lots of differnt lines etc ....the building thing is round the other corner about 250 meters round the corner,,,,small building with only 2 storeys.,,,,looks a bit old though,,,wonder if anyone works there,,,,or are they not maned..looks like noone has cleaned them grey windows for ages

green box is a repeter
N/A

well my whole town is only about 3 miles across. the exchange is in the middle and i'm somewhere between the middle and the outskirts. I can't be much more than 1 mile away, if that. Cheesy
N/A

It's the length of the line rather than the physical distance from the exchange.

To Get the RADSL Product...

You need to live within 6km

You need to have a Attenuation level of no more than 60db.

To Get the 1Mb - 2Mb ADSL Product...

You need to live within 3.5km

You need to have a Attenuation level of no more than 45db.
N/A

For me the physical Distance to the exchange is 0.72KM (0.45 Miles) but the line length is 1.78KM (1.11 Miles)

here is what my router is reporting for Attenuation levels

Downstream Noise Margin
Relative capacity occupation: 27%
Noise margin downstream: 33.0 db
Output power upstream: 10.5 dbm
Attenuation downstream: 28.0 db

Upstream Noise Margin
Relative capacity occupation: 38%
Noise margin upstream: 25.0 db
Output power downstream: 20.0 dbm
Attenuation upstream: 14.0 db

My package is the 2mb and link speed i get (according to router) is this..

Upstream Speed: 288 kbps
Downstream Speed: 2272 kbps :twisted:
N/A

I live 1 road from the exchange, probably less than a mile of bt line.

Ive had no problems to date and consistently get 470kbs on the +net test and around 452kbs on the ADSL guide test. Prior to joining +net I had a dial up connection with slow serve and regularly achieved an impressive 6kbs which usually dropped to around 2kbs after a couple of minutes of downloading. Wink