cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hot router

vic_newey
Grafter

hot router

just started using a router modem & it gets quite warm / mildly hot. is this normal /
my previous USB modem stayed cold so I am uncertain as to whether this is normal
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

hot router

It is normal for routers to run warm, there is quite a lot of electronics packed into that small box.

Today’s typical SoHo router has more computing power than an ‘80’s PC.

Chilly
vic_newey
Grafter

hot router

thanks for that,
heat, heat everywhere , belting out the back of my PC case & my kids two computers also, won't need Central heating in the winter at this rate
craigbrass
Grafter

hot router

LOL, sounds just like my office room. I still have 2 CRT monitors on older machines and they give out heat like anything aswell as the computers, wireless access point, router and everything else. Like a sauna it is.
LiamM
Grafter

hot router

Now that's an idea. I'm moving into an office shortly... it's relatively cold. I was going to go for a dual TFT setup, but for added warmth... how about a couple of old CRTs?

Sounds good!
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

hot router

On a similar note, I was at the girlfriends parents place at the weekend, and set up there belkin router to replace their BT voyager usb modem they have. That was getting really hot, and lost sync. The only way to get it working again was to leave it unplugged for 20 minutes, then it works for another few hours. Any suggestions anyone? Do you think it is as I suspect, and the router is overheating and causing the disconnect? To connection is with BT Broadband :roll: so could be totally unrelated.

Phil
craigbrass
Grafter

hot router

What type of router is it? Could be a faulty one, in which case send it back for a replacement and see if that has the same problem.
Superuser
Superuser

hot router

i think it might be a
Belkin F5D7230uk4 54Mbps Wireless Broadband Router, but that is only comparing an image on a website with what I remember it looking like. They have had it a while, with it just sat on their desk with a cat 5 cable connecting it to their computer and nothing else. Don't think they have the receipt any more, and I can't remember seeing a waruntee card.

Think they might be screwed!

Phil
craigbrass
Grafter

hot router

Doesn't matter if you don't have anything. Belkin support are VERY good. They have a rough date on their systems of when you got it. If you give em a ring with serial number handy, they should just come to your house and swap it. They did with me when I had problems with 2 divices I got from them a year or so back and had a problem with them.
Superuser
Superuser

hot router

Great. Got a phone number or anything for them?

Phil
craigbrass
Grafter

hot router

http://www.belkin.com/uk/support/tech/howtorec.htm is the page you need. I used the web root when I did it. Got a reply in an hour if I remember right.
Superuser
Superuser

hot router

Thanks a lot. I'll get them onto it shortly.

Phil