cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

high pitched noise on phone line

N/A

high pitched noise on phone line

does anyone else get the hight pitched noise on the phone line even if i only pick up the phone and not dial it is still there it is like a wistleing (sounds like my filter dont work properly ) any way i will change filters over the weekend to see if that makes any difference

chrisSmiley
7 REPLIES
N/A

RE: high pitched noise on phone line

Yes ive heard that noise before, when i tried to use a downstairs phone without a filter inline.

you need a filter on every phone you're goning to use mate. that noise is coming from your modem no doubt. filter will kill it.

good luck.

--
Jason
=====
N/A

i am having the same problem and it's very annoying, i have a filter on every phone point except my Sky Digibox (i dont have a filter for it yet, buying one soon) but that is un plugged for now..

the high pitched noise only appears when the computer is turned off, BUT if the computer is turned off and the adsl is un-plugged from the wall, the high pitched noise goes away. do i need a higher quality filter for the downstairs phone?Huh
N/A

Hi mate,

When i joined PlusNet ADSL back in April, you had to buy your own equipment.. they didn't do the packages back then.
I bought 4 filters.. although i only use two.
better with some extra.

My Sky box goes through the downstairs extension, same as my phone, and it has a filter.
so no problems. i didn't even consider Sky would cause a problem, as it's only dialing up now and then to check your card or box.

I have a D-LINK 200 USB modem, so when i power off the PC the noise that would be there.. goes off anyway, as it comes from the modem and thats only connected as long as i have my PC turned on.

But routers are different, ive never had one, so best to ask someone that has.
but i believe you set them up and leave them powered on by a mains adapter so the connection is actually always on, even if you don't have the pc switched on.

Like i said, i have never had one.. maybe somone who does can tell you how to not leave it on 24/7 without pulling ou the power.

BTW: the filters i bought, are Alcatel Speed Touch model: z-420uk-alcatel SIN 346 Compliant.
very good quality filters.. but expensive @ £8.95 each, i paid £48.76 for 4 of them, that was including postage and VAT.

Alot of money but worth it if it is going to run good.

I got them from DSL Source (www.dslsource.co.uk)
and my modem from action.com (Insight plc)

Good luck.

--
Jason
=====
N/A

i got filters on all phone lines
even though i only got one phone

i got 1 filter in the main socket from here i got the phone pluged in and then my dsl wire going upstairs in my computerHuh?
still why the noisesingle pitched noise
N/A

Hi mate,

You actually only need a filter on a line or extension you are going to be using a phone on, or fax etc..

The other sockets you can leave without a filter, since you're not using them, it won't make a difference.

I have no idea why you get this noise.
you should raise a ticket on contact us.

PlusNet only sort things out if you contact them direct and explain what you explained here.
Maybe your exchange or a BT problem.
I'd report it mate.

Good luck.
--
Jason
=====
N/A

Hi Chris, Isn't this the ADSL signal that you can hear? ADSL is transmitted over the phone line as a sound wave at very high freqency, hence the need for the filters to allow you to use your phone at the same time as broadband. P'haps the filters you are using aren't filtering all the noise out? (sorry, I guess you know all this anyway, so if it;s a question of Grandmothers and sucking eggs I apologise !!).
N/A

> does anyone else get the hight pitched noise on the phone line even if i only pick up the phone and not dial it is still there it is like a wistleing (sounds like my filter dont work properly ) any way i will change filters over the weekend to see if that makes any difference
>
>
> chrisSmiley

Hi chris,

I had this problem as well and it turned out to be a filter that was about to fail. I've read numerous reports of people having multiple duff filters so perhaps a spare one is a must.