cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hey ppl- i need some info

N/A

hey ppl- i need some info

huy guys n gals. im in the process of waiting for my lin to b tested. once it is (and hopefully confirmed) i have to buy my adsl modem/hub as i have decided to install it myself. i was told by plus net that www.action.com have discounts for plus net users. so iwent and there is a modem by u.s.robotics adsl modem inc 2 splitters cables etc for £88.11 inc vat. is this any good and should i get it.

thanx a lot.

altough i find the plusnet website a bit confusing to use.

by the way thats not my name its my moms. im john
--
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: hey ppl- i need some info

> huy guys n gals. im in the process of waiting for my lin to b tested. once it is (and hopefully confirmed) i have to buy my adsl modem/hub as i have decided to install it myself. i was told by plus net that www.action.com have discounts for plus net users. so iwent and there is a modem by u.s.robotics adsl modem inc 2 splitters cables etc for £88.11 inc vat. is this any good and should i get it.
>
> thanx a lot.
>
> altough i find the plusnet website a bit confusing to use.
>
>
> by the way thats not my name its my moms. im john
>
> --
>

Hi John. That looks like a fair price for the modem and splitters. Considering that a splitter costs around £10 from solwise including P+P, it looks like a pretty good deal.

N/A

Hi Mate,

I can recommend the Fujitsu FDX310. Bloody great modem with no set up hassles with terriffic ping times in a nice small package.

Around 80 -85 pounds depending where u buy from.

--
Homerlovesbeer mmmmmmmmmm beer
N/A

Dixons - Zoom USB ADSL modem + 2 Microfilters £79.99

Thats what i use, speeds are fine, As for installation , what installation ?

Only prob, is that it looks like its from the 60's.
--
The wise man mocks the mocked, The mocked man mocks the mocker.....
N/A

Are you talking about the USR 8500 model?

I originally bought one of those and had to send it back. For some reason it was extremely noisy! All you got out of it was a very high pitched loud noise (bit like some TVs give out, but much worse!) I called USR to find out what the problem was, and they wanted to know how I got the modem - They have not fully tested it in the UK, and are still concerned as to why Action are selling it!

If you want to keep the cost down, go for one of the other models listed above.
However if you can stretch to it, I would personally advise going for an Intertex IX66. Basically its a combined router / adsl modem / firewall. Very compact, quiet, fast and comes with a lifetime guarantee. Also its probably the most secure solution for the money (IMHO anyway).

Take a look at http://ix66.techarena.org/forum//index.php for more info.

And no... I don't work for them Smiley

HTH
JW