cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help setting up adsl on a windoze 2003 sbs server

N/A

Hi there, im having a complete night mare setting up my server,

i have 5 workstations that connect to the sbs server via a linksys wireless router (wrt54g)
im trying to share the internet connection so that all these workstations can connect to the internet.
on my server. i can connect and surf the net,
on the server in server management there is a "connect to the internet" wizzard which i have followed through, however i still cant seem to connect the work stations to the internet,

can some one give me some advice

many thanks

Ben
18 REPLIES
N/A

Set the default gateway of the NICs in the workstations to the IP address of your router.
N/A

sorryto sound like a numpty but could you give me step by steps on how to select the gateway i couldnt seem to see it
N/A

one thought tho if i did that then they wouldnt be able to connect to our server.
N/A

OK, then: set the default gateway of your server to the IP address of the router and set the default gateway of your clients to the IP address of the server.
N/A

Right-click "My Network Places" and select "Properties", right-click the LAN connection and select "Properties". Click on TCP/IP and click on "Properties". You should see entries for the IP address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway. Failing that, if you use DHCP, then add the Default Gateway in your Scope.
N/A

one thought tho if i did that then they wouldnt be able to connect to our server

The Default Gateway is how your PC communicates "outside" of your network. It will still use DNS on your Server for internal communications.
N/A

i do use dhcp from the wireless router, i connected to the router looking to add to the scope
i have settings:
dchp server enable/disable
starting ip address
static dns1
static dns2
static dns3
wins

i tried the way you said however im unsure what to specify my ip address as
N/A

My first question is ... Why on God's green planet Earth are you using WINS??

If you are using the DHCP from your Router, then I assume it will give your clients the IP address of your Router as the Default Gateway anyway.
N/A

On one of the clients, click on Start/Run type cmd and click OK.

In the DOS screen type ipconfig /all

Does it tell you the IP address of your DNS server, DHCP server and Default Gateway?Huh
N/A

im not using wins (what is wins)

i have 2 routers, the wireless one and then the usb one from plus net that plugs in the back of my server,

the usb one is the adsl modem however there isnt dhcp on it, it a voyager modem

your rite the defult gateway is set to the wireless router
N/A

Ah, now it all becomes clear. Your Router is just a Router, you don't have a built-in ADSL modem. That is separate.

WINS stands for Windows Internet Naming Service. It's Microsoft's attempt at DNS.

If the Default Gateway of your server is also the IP address of the Router and that works fine (in terms of Internet access), then I can see no obvious reason as to why the clients cannot also connect to the Internet.
N/A

If your clients are simply connected to your Router and the Router is not connected to anything else, then it is simply behaving as a Hub/Switch and not as a Router.
N/A

Ah, now it all becomes clear. Your Router is just a Router, you don't have a built-in ADSL modem. That is separate.

WINS stands for Windows Internet Naming Service. It's Microsoft's attempt at DNS.

If the Default Gateway of your server is also the IP address of the Router and that works fine (in terms of Internet access), then I can see no obvious reason as to why the clients cannot also connect to the Internet.

thanks for all your help.

the default gateway of my server ive set to the ip address of the adsl modem,

my clients still cant connect to the internet ive set 1 test workstation up with its own ip address and iv set the gate way as the ip address of the adsl modem

what am i doing wrong?
N/A

So, the Default Gateway of your Server is the IP address of the ADSL Modem. All you have to do is set the Default Gateway of your Clients to the IP address of the Server.