cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help please-serious adsl problems

N/A

right....recently moved house, ordered adsl with plus.net (doesn't matter what package), recently found out the lady that moved out hadn't cancelled her line with bt before we moved in...so my adsl was on her line...when she cancelled plus.net have cancelled my broadband, there was nothing I could do.

They are now telling me that I have to pay £55+VAT to get reactivated, to me this seems very unreasonable as it's not a fault of my own at all!

I've sent a ticket back to PN stating this and telling them I am not willing to pay this fee as it is their fault, I also mentioned I was quite happy to continue the service if I am reactivated free of charge. I have yet to hear back from PN, but could anybody with any advice on what's likely to happen get in touch.

Thanks
17 REPLIES
N/A

First off, a few questions.

You say that the person did not cancle their account. When exactly did the BT account go into your own name?

BT should have provided you with a comencment date for your own service.
N/A

basically BT called and told us that the phone line had been cancelled at our house, this was about last tuesday, the adsl went off on the friday and is still off, obviously.

We got the keys, I ordered adsl, we moved in, the woman that moved out cancelled the phone line ( a month after we moved in )...so they cancelled our adsl with it Sad
N/A

The problem is, if the line is not contracted in your name, then you are not officialy entitled to order ADSL on the line.

One of the conditions of ADSL is that the line is in your own name, or that you are authorised by the owner of the line to take the service. The service is then tied to that contract, should it be terminated, then so too will the services that are on it.

I do feel for you, but this does appear to be a situation of your own making.
N/A

I know what you're saying, although I had no way of knowing that it wasn't under our name. I will have to see what PN say, although I imagine it'll be something on similar lines. I'm just a bit angry about it all really, I think £55+VAT for activation is so overpriced as well, I just hope PN understand what's happened and activate me for free! :?
N/A

I've just had an idea....as i'm on the £14.99 upto 2mb package, I was thinking about upgrading to the £21.99 package...as upgrades are free, i'm wondering if the connection for this would be provided free of charge also...any ideas?
N/A

Unfortunatly not.

The Activation charge is a BT related charge, which PlusNet pass on direct.

Changing from a Plus account, to a premier account is indeed free, however, as your line requires a reactivation, it wouldn't be.
N/A

PN advised I may be able to claim the activation fee back from BT, I asked BT about this on the phone and they said they wouldn't and that the activation might not be charged so i'm confused. :?
N/A

Shadow,

When you spoke to BT prior to moving in did you receive any confirmation off them regarding the line being in your name and the date that the order would be effective from?

If so might be worth faxing those details to PN and seeing if that helps unblock BT... This may work as unless the line was in your name BT should not have accepted the order in the first place and if the line was in your name then BT should not have ceased the line. All I can think happened is BT created an account on that line in your name, didn't notice it was a change to an existing line and so had the previous occupiers name against the line as well...
N/A

we didn't recieve any note about the line at all...what happened was, the phone line itself went dead, we rang BT they said the line had been cancelled by the previous owners (only a month after we moved in). BT have since then reactivated the phone, but adsl is still off until we are reactivated...which is gonna cost £55+VAT as i said Sad
N/A

Hm, that sounds like the line hadn't been transfered to your name and so the line should never have had ADSL activated on it.

Not sure what checks are done but I would have thought a basic check of names would be done...
N/A

Hi,

Would it then be fair to say that you did not take ownership of the line at the time you moved in.

I.E phone BT on 150 tell them you were the new occupiers and officially take over the line, thus receiving written confirmation from BT that you were indeed the new owners, or did you simply move in and use the previous occupiers phone?

Not exactly clear from your posts.
N/A

so where does that leave me standing? :?

obviously not too keen on paying £55+VAT only to "try" and claim it back from BT, whom have already said they will not do this for me on the phone earlier today.
N/A

I hate to say it but it looks unlikely you'll get the £55 back unless you can prove you informed BT you had taken over the line and have some confirmation that your order had been accepted and was activated (the line not ADSL)
N/A

Got to ask have you ever paid for the activation of the line? for ADSL or are you trying to get away without paying?
after all if the previous owner had cancelled the line when they should have, you would have had to have the line re-connected in your name and then paid for the ADSL activation
Or have I missed something here