cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help on sar 110

N/A

help on sar 110

Need brains, mine's dead. Here's the settings on the 10/100 network tcp/ip settings.
ip address 192.168.7.2
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
default gateway 192.168.7.1

pref dns 212.159.11.150
alt dns 212.159.13.150
Lights showing on router are, power,adsl (constant), pc and intermittant tx.

Whenever i type in the server address http://192.168.7.1/ i get a message "not conncted to the internet".

This is driving me potty what on earth am i doing wrong.

unlike the zoom adsl modem there seems to be no intallation file anywhere on the cd.
All help gratfully recieved.
32 REPLIES
N/A

help on sar 110

Hi,

Is this a new installation or has router worked before? Assuming new, you shouldn't need any setup files (you were lucky, I didn't even get a CD). What version of Windoze are you running?

Can you ping the router from a DOS prompt?

Have you checked the LAN settings in Internet Explorer? Tools, Internet Options, Connections Tab, LAN Settings - the check box should probably be set to "Automatically Detect Settings"

Sorry, this is all questions, not answers but will help if I can. I'm quite pleased with my 110 - once you've prevented the world from logging into it.

Cheers,
Spenser.
jberry
Grafter

help on sar 110

Whenever i type in the server address http://192.168.7.1/ i get a message "not conncted to the internet".

Make sure that you have gone into the connections tab of internet options and changed it to "never dial a connection" or your machine will try to dial up when you view web pages.

Regards,
N/A

help on sar 110

Thanks for the replys have alterd settings as requested, will let you know what happens.
O/S win98 SE, new istallation, cannot ping router cos no connection.

Driving me nuts trying to figure this out.
N/A

help on sar 110

tried the mods suggested but it just wont connect to the net.
but my old zoom adsl modem gets in every time, getting to the stage that i wished i'd never bought the thing, too much hassle.
I'll stick with the modem, much easier. Smiley
N/A

help on sar 110

reset,

What messages do you receive when you issue the ping command as it sounds like a network card setting/driver problem.

Darren
N/A

help on sar 110

sounds like something i did when connecting my router- had the wrong type of cable plugged into it - i had a crossover cable in instead of the other type ( dno what the difference is, but i pulled the other one in and it connected str8 away Cheesy

try a different cable ( the cables i used both had same heads so maybe sopme one could clear this up - ie which cable i was using and which i am using now )

( ps i only connected on computer to it)
Community Veteran

help on sar 110

sounds like something i did when connecting my router- had the wrong type of cable plugged into it - i had a crossover cable in instead of the other type ( dno what the difference is, but i pulled the other one in and it connected str8 away Cheesy

Just for your own and other readers information a "crossover cable" has the transmit and receive pairs crossed over at one end (Usually but not always marked with a X at the crossed end)
You would only use a crossover cable for connecting 2 PCs Directly to each other and not if you were using any sort of Hub.
N/A

help on sar 110

Most (but not all) crossover cables are helpfully marked. A good tip if you're BUYING cables is to choose a different colour for cross-overs. If you're using the (inadequately short) cable that came with the router you should be ok - maybe you can re-jig / move things for a test? The actual connections for the ends (RJ45 connectors) may be found here

http://www.hardwarebook.net/cable/index.html

almost all cables do follow a set colour code so you can usually identify a whether you have a crossed or flipped cable by holding the ends side-by-side and looking at the colours.

Umm, Win 98 seems to ALWAYS need a re-boot if you change ANY of the TCP/IP settings - even a DNS IP address - God knows why? and the first step really is to get "ping" working.

Open a command prompt and type "ping 192.168.7.1"

I use a different address but you should get results like this:-

Pinging 172.16.0.2 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 172.16.0.2: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=63

Ping statistics for 172.16.0.2:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 1ms

If you DO then it's almost certainly Browser settings that are at fault.

If NOT then it's either hardware (PC, Cable or Router), TCP settings / configuartion or a faulty driver.

I think I spotted a thread on this Forum from someone who's router was NOT set to factory defaults and this was blamed on the unit being a "sample" subjected to extended factory tests. There was definitely another (more recent) thread which dealt with restoring defaults by connecting to the PC's serial port (a cable is supplied) and using Hyperterm to reset the router. May be worth a try.

Good luck. Sounded like you'd had enough the other night. Smiley
N/A

help on sar 110

You'd also use a cross-over cable to connect two hubs Smiley
Community Veteran

help on sar 110

You'd also use a cross-over cable to connect two hubs Smiley

Not always. Some hubs have a special port that has a built in crossover.
Community Veteran

help on sar 110

Yes,
An uplink port, it can usually switch between being normal or cross over.

Some hubs and switches are even autosensing.
I use a Netgear DG814 router which has a built in switch with autosensing capabilities.

Chris
N/A

help on sar 110

Tee Hee.... this is fun, though I think we may be straying SLIGHTLY from the original thread.... WITHOUT Auto-Sense, you'd certainly need a cross over cable to connect John's Special Port to a PC or SAR110. Cheesy PS - Parenthood.... who'd put up with it? I am now obliged to go and "supervise" my daughter's friends as they've built a water slide in the garden... they're all 18 but the combination of wet plastic an bikinis can be more DANGEROUS than network cables.
Mark_Dowd
Grafter

help on sar 110

...has the transmit and receive pairs crossed over at one end (Usually but not always marked with a X at the crossed end)

John.

Surely a crossover cable is symmetrical, or am I being a bit simple? :?
Community Veteran

help on sar 110

I am now obliged to go and "supervise" my daughter's friends as they've built a water slide in the garden... they're all 18 but the combination of wet plastic an bikinis can be more DANGEROUS than network cables.

18 you say?
If you ever need a hand supervising let me know! lol

Chris