cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

have to switch router on after PC to access net.

N/A

have to switch router on after PC to access net.

hi - this might sound like a dumb problem to all you network guru's Wink - I am currently connected through a router via a single Ethernet card.
Last night I switched my pc off but left the router (soulwise) switched on.
This morning I could not access any net services until I had switched the router on and off to reconnect.

I'm a bit new to all this and any info would be of great help.
7 REPLIES
benoh
Grafter

RE: have to switch router on after PC to access net.

> This morning I could not access any net services until I had switched the router on and off to reconnect.

Hi Martyn,
As per the Service status announcements @ http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2

We made some significant upgrades to the DSL network early this morning and as such all connections were disconnected. Your router should of tried to reconnect on its own but some people have found they need to power cycle their router to get reconnected.

Ben O'Hara
Plusnet Technologies Ltd.
N/A

> > This morning I could not access any net services until I had switched the router on and off to reconnect.
>
> Hi Martyn,
> As per the Service status announcements @ http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2
>
> We made some significant upgrades to the DSL network early this morning and as such all connections were disconnected. Your router should of tried to reconnect on its own but some people have found they need to power cycle their router to get reconnected.
>
> Ben O'Hara
> Plusnet Technologies Ltd.

ta Smiley
N/A

i get this sometimes the router says its connected and nothing come down . i have to power of and off sometimes to get it to connect properly.
N/A

Guys, you should *not* have to power cycle the router on a regular basis. If you really have to, there is something not quite right.
N/A

Doh, forgot to say, I didnt have to at all when I came home this evening.
Saturn
Grafter

Some routers have a parameter you can set which makes the Router disconnect after a specified idle period. For example, the Netgear DG814 has such a parameter and you have to set it to zero if you want to have a continuous connection. Perhaps your Router has a similar function.
N/A

OK I'm still experiencing the same problem.
I've checked the time out settings and that shouldn't be an issue as they are set very high.

I am using XP and have found that, as mentioned earlier, if I switch on my pc when the router is already on I get no connection. I can't even connect to the router to check the config. Its as if xp forgets it exists.

If I then swtich the router off and back on - it connects fine - I also find the problem resolves if I 'restart' xp. However, if I shut the pc down completely and then switch it back on the problem remains.

I have checked my network connections and they look fine - I am using a single 100mbs ethernet card (SMC EZ Card 10/100 PCI -SMC1211TX). I also have a 1394 Firewire connection enabled on my system (although not used for anything at the mo).
As previously mentioned the router is a solwise 110.