cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hacking attempts?

N/A

hacking attempts?

I have been on ADSL with Plus Net for 10 days - really pleased with the performance!
but I have had over 300 medium and high rated alerts from my firewall software.

If the user is from plus net and on the high rated list would Plus Net do anything about it?
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: hacking attempts?

We are totally against people who try and hack into our users machines. The internet community simply does not need this kind of mischief.

If any of our users are attacking you send the logs to abuse@plus.net

Kind regards

Kevin

--
| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support ................. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

These "hacking attempts" are most likely (without looking at your logs) just persons scanning the whole subnet in search of open ports that could be usefull for them. For example public ftp sites (port 21) that would be filled with copywrighted material for distrobution. or Other ports that the popilar trogan horses run on.
technogogo

I have noticed lots of attempts as well. I use zonealarm which I would recommend as a simple, and free!, solution (though there is a pro option which I am seriously considering shelling out for.)

I guess attempts on specific ports is the equivalent of trying a door handle to see if it is locked. Kind of on the borderline in terms of legality.

Also, there are plenty of people who are running trojans without knowing due to their lack of security. Attacks from their machines may be happening without their knowledge. Lets face it, making a windows PC secure and keeping it secure against a growing range of vulnerabilities is an ongoing struggle, even for IT professionals!

I found www.grc.com to have useful information about firewalls and security. Also a nifty way to test-attack your own system.

Mark

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

> I have been on ADSL with Plus Net for 10 days - really pleased with the performance!
> but I have had over 300 medium and high rated alerts from my firewall software.
>
> If the user is from plus net and on the high rated list would Plus Net do anything about it?
>

Do you play any online games? As most online games do regular UPD probes.

Also most if not all p2p utils especially if you enabled sharing.
--
ADSL @ 288/576 Self Install
IRC.UTCHAT.COM
@ in #utgames #utchat #uthelp
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Did any of this help Andi? Not heard from you in 4 days, if so please say yay/nay. Then we can stop checking this post for updates
--
ADSL @ 288/576 Self Install
IRC.UTCHAT.COM
@ in #utgames #utchat #uthelp
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017