cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting booted!

N/A

getting booted!

I've been greatly looking foreward to my ADSL connection for some time. Got the modem through the post, fitted it and got online last night.
ADSL...The "PERMANENT FAST CONNECTION"...I only had to reboot seven times last night and today only about twelve times!!! This is serious rubbish! I have the Plusnet PCI modem, have followed instructions (and checked them) to the letter and am very disheartened/ p***ed off. Why the hell am I being constantly disconnected? and why the hell does it take an eternity to log back on? and why should I be paying for this? am I being conned again?
Tony.
9 REPLIES
N/A

RE: getting booted!

> I've been greatly looking foreward to my ADSL

I am sure there are DNS problems,, are your syptoms this.. >

you log in, browse for maybe 1 hour or less then everything dies.. the connection still seems active, you can diconnect then reconnect and get nowhere ?

if it is. it,s the dreaded DNS issue.. we had the same problem last week.

connection for some time. Got the modem through the post, fitted it and got online last night.
> ADSL...The "PERMANENT FAST CONNECTION"...I only had to reboot seven times last night and today only about twelve times!!! This is serious rubbish! I have the Plusnet PCI modem, have followed instructions (and checked them) to the letter and am very disheartened/ p***ed off. Why the hell am I being constantly disconnected? and why the hell does it take an eternity to log back on? and why should I be paying for this? am I being conned again?
> Tony.

N/A

Before you blame PlusNet check your exchange isn't having any faults.

I suffered from this for a while back in May.
it was BT's fault. i'm sure it will fix.
raise a ticket with PlusNet and mark it very important.. i'm sure they will sort it, either way.

Being disconnected all the time is very frustrating, but now and again my ADSL light goes out too.. thats the exchange thou mate. Blame BT.
--
Jason
=====
N/A

PS> Sometimes when the exchange does this.. it can take a while to get back on. leave it for 5-10 mins then retry, i think the modem card the other end at exchange has a reset. If you contact Plus.. they will inform BT for you. or report it yourself to faults.

BT = merda. PlusNet = bravo Wink

--
Jason
=====
N/A

One other thing you may want to try.
change the DNS servers over to BT's just to check.
if it works on BT, then it's PlusNet.

Although PlusNet is working fine, but it's worth a try.
Servers are below.

PlusNet DNS Servers:

BT DNS Servers:

--
Jason
=====
N/A

Hi Jason.. I am only saying this because the problem I am having is exactly the same as last weekend.. DNS problems..

I dont actually know how to change DNS servers, I am sure it will be fixed ..

> One other thing you may want to try.
> change the DNS servers over to BT's just to check.
> if it works on BT, then it's PlusNet.
>
> Although PlusNet is working fine, but it's worth a try.
> Servers are below.
>
> PlusNet DNS Servers:
>
> 212.159.11.150
> 212.159.13.150
>
>
> BT DNS Servers:
>
> 213.120.62.100
> 213.120.62.101
>
> --
> Jason
> =====

N/A

Hi Jason.. I am only saying this because the problem I am having is exactly the same as last weekend.. DNS problems..

I dont actually know how to change DNS servers, I am sure it will be fixed ..

> One other thing you may want to try.
> change the DNS servers over to BT's just to check.
> if it works on BT, then it's PlusNet.
>
> Although PlusNet is working fine, but it's worth a try.
> Servers are below.
>
> PlusNet DNS Servers:
>
> 212.159.11.150
> 212.159.13.150
>
>
> BT DNS Servers:
>
> 213.120.62.100
> 213.120.62.101
>
> --
> Jason
> =====

N/A

Ho hummm i was thinking more there..
you know when you setup the dial in connection to link your modem to your ADSL line?

Well check the settings.. should be VPI =0 and VCI=38 PPPoATM Null Encap and set to Multimode.. or G.DMT

Try diff settings, the Multimode is recomended.
but G.DMT will work. if you have this setting maually.

Also you know that dialup box?, click right click, and check on properties, make sure the auto disconnect isnt on.
there is a box if checked, will disconnect you after 20 mins, and another which knocks you off if connection is idle a while.

Won't do any harm to have a look.
thats all i can think.
Good luck.

--
Jason
=====
N/A

Hi there didn't see your post,
i was writting all that out when you posted.

OK changing DNS servers is really easy.
goto the account you are connected with.
PlusNet and the dialin account you created.

Access through, START, CONTROL PANEL, NETWORK AND INTERNET CONNECTIONS OR NETWORK SETTINGS IF U HAVE WIN 98. then look for that PlusNet dialup, when you find it, right click on it, select properties, then click the top Networking tab.

The click the Properties button under the TCP/IP
this opens up a box to change the IP you connect to, make it static, enter your plusnet Ip addy.
then below enter the server IP's

PlusNet DNS Servers:

Easy.. it helps.. if it's PlusNets problem on the DNS. i'm OK this end.. but anything is worth a try.
if DNS is messed try entering the BT servers as below, you can change back to PlusNet again easily.

BT DNS Servers:

--
Jason
=====
N/A

PS> if you don't know your IP address connect to my webserver http://212.159.68.178 or http://dolan.plus.com it will tell you your IP address on the main page.

OK. i best stop writing here now.. LOL
--
Jason
=====