cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ftp problems with Belkin router

aenea
Grafter

I have a BT Voyager modem/router, as provded by PlusNet. When I connect directly to the modem I can use ftp without any problems.

I also have a Belkin Wirelss G router. When I connect this to the modem, I can access web pages and send and receive e-mail OK but I have problems with ftp.

The ftp connection (to my PlusNet web site) is made OK and I can transfer files from my web site to my PC but when I try to upload files from my PC to my web site I hit problems.

Very small files upload OK. But anything larger than about 16KB fails. It appears to start the transfer (and the name of the file is created on the web server) but the transfer hangs and eventually times out saying 'unable to connect to server'.

I can't find anything in the manual that helps. I even tried phoning Belkin for help but they were totally useless.

My last hope is that someone out there has had a similar problem and can suggest a fix.

In addition to problems with ftp I also have problems with some web pages, where I am submitting information back to the server. In particular, I am unable to submit a question to the PlusNet support line when connected to the Belkin router. The page comes up OK, I type in my query, but then when I hit the submit problem it hangs and eventually times out, rather like the ftp.

When I disconnect the Belkin router and connect directly to the Voyager modem/router then the problem goes away. I guess this has a similar root cause to the ftp problem but, so far. PlusNet support has not been able to come up with any suggestions.
12 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

Just seen your post and I am having exactly the same problem, word for word. Incidently this was also happening with my old Netscape wireless router so I have a feeling it is a plusnet issue or perhaps some kind of firewall problem. Whatever it is a pain. I'll keep looking for a resolution!
aenea
Grafter

re: ftp problelms

Comforting to know I'm not alone. Wink

I have two broadband connections with PlusNet, in two different places. In my other abode I have a D-link modem and a Linksys wireless router and I have no problems with ftp there.

If I get desperate, I may try bringing the Linksys router down here to see if that makes a difference.

Interesting, however, that you experienced the same problem with a Netgear (which is what I guess you meant, not Netscape) router.

Do keep me posted if you make any progress.
N/A

First thing that can cause it is the wrong MTU set on the router.

Second can be that you are using all your bandwidth at the time this could be p2p or heavy download which could be an update so you may not be aware of it.

This could cause a error Event ID 4226 in the event log windows XP sp2 only lets you have limited connections and if you exceed this you cant start anymore connections. Check your event log there is a fix for this

Third reason could be Firewall with FTP you connect on port 21 and it then replies on another port which a firewall may see as a attack as its not a reply try switching modes on ftp to passive if you have it.
aenea
Grafter

First thing that can cause it is the wrong MTU set on the router.

I can't see how/where to change this on the router.
I am using the Dynamic connection type and it doesn't offer any option to change the MTU.

The only place I can find an MTU setting is within connection type PPPoE but this connection type does not work for me.

Second can be that you are using all your bandwidth at the time this could be p2p or heavy download which could be an update so you may not be aware of it.

I have monitored network traffic through Windows Task Manager and there is no traffic when I am in the 'hung' state.
This could cause a error Event ID 4226 in the event log windows XP sp2 only lets you have limited connections and if you exceed this you cant start anymore connections. Check your event log there is a fix for this

I have checked the event log and can't see anything untoward there.
Third reason could be Firewall with FTP you connect on port 21 and it then replies on another port which a firewall may see as a attack as its not a reply try switching modes on ftp to passive if you have it.

FTP is already set to passive mode.
N/A

Its timing out somewhere so things to try are.
Change MTU on pc
Turn off any encryption
Look for anything degrading the signal can you try it next the the router? get netstumbler as this shows noise from
http://www.netstumbler.com/

Try changing channel

Try another ftp client theres plenty of free ones sometimes one will work when others fail.
aenea
Grafter

Its timing out somewhere so things to try are.
Change MTU on pc

I'm afraid I don't know how to do this. Can you point me to some help?
Turn off any encryption

Already off
Look for anything degrading the signal can you try it next the the router? get netstumbler as this shows noise from
http://www.netstumbler.com/

I am next to the router and I experience the same problems when I plug my PC directly into the router's ethernet port.

Try changing channel

Tried several alternative channels with no effect.

Try another ftp client theres plenty of free ones sometimes one will work when others fail.

Have already tried two - Macromedia Dreamweaver and Internet Explorer.

Thanks for the suggestions
chrisc
Grafter

@dunbarney

Have a look here for information on tweaking your MTU and RWIN settings.
aenea
Grafter

Thanks, I'll check that out. Won't be able to do so immediately, however, as I'm away from home for a bit.
netman
Grafter

FTP Tends to be a general issue with PlusNet. I am using a Netgear Router with all the setting set to forward port 21 to an IP address on my internal network. 2 Months ago I asked PlusNet to see if they have Port 21 blocked and they said no and suggested I use FileZilla for FTP. Low and behold 1 day later the FTP worked as advertised. To my horror I tried to FTP yesterday and no a sausage!!
Question is: Is PlusNet messing around blocking FTP?
I am in no means 'New' to the game of I.T. and this FTP issue is becoming very tiresome...
Come on what's the score with FT...... P!!!!!!!!?
aenea
Grafter

FTP problems

I have two PlusNet broadband connections (in different houses) and only have problems with the one described above. In my other location I have a D-link modem and a Linksys router and have no problems using FTP. (Clients I use are Dreamweaver and WinFTP).

In the location where I have problems, my instinct is that the problem lies with my Belkin router, not PlusNet. In hindsight, I should have researched the router market more carefully. Friends and family now tell me that Belkin routers are notoriously problematic. Hey ho!
aenea
Grafter

ftp problem solved

I have fixed my problem with ftp.

The solution was to change the MTU value set in my BT Voyager modem/router. This was set to a default value of 1400 (in the WAN settings). When I changed it to 1500, my problems went away.

Running the tweak test at http://www.dslreports.com/tweak reveals that, with the Belkin router hooked up, the actual MTU being used is 1454. There is no way to change this on the Belkin router when using the Dynamic connection type (required for PlusNet).

My guess is that my problems were being caused by the MTU setting on the BT Voyager being less than that on the Belkin.
Trapper_Dave
Grafter

Re: ftp problem solved

I have fixed my problem with ftp.

The solution was to change the MTU value set in my BT Voyager modem/router. This was set to a default value of 1400 (in the WAN settings). When I changed it to 1500, my problems went away.

My Belkin router won't let me set my MTU above 1454, it's causing me no end of annoyance that I can't guarantee that my FTP connection will work.