cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

foot shooting?

N/A

foot shooting?

The recent miserable time I had when exceeding my account usage dropped my speed to historic days - 130kbps, led me to discover the amazing bizarreness of BT in "punishing" your line with low speeds until after 3-5 days at a higher line sync it would get your speed adjusted upwards. Cry
I'm now back on a "massive" around 490kbps with a connecting sync, usually, around 2200kpbs. In all this I noticed that my USB modem [a binatone ADSL 500] was not helping, as in my daily PC boot-up process the initial line sync would only average 1100kbps and I would need to reconnect the modem to get the sync at 2000-3000kbps. I assume I need to get a modem/router with a standalone power point to have any chance of having a steady enough sync for BT to get my throughput up towards 2000kbps?
My technical knowhow is at "put plug in, switch on" level, so forum help is appreciated. thanks :lol:
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

foot shooting?

You might get 1500 kbps but not higher given that synch speed. At the worst you should get 1000kbps.
It all depends how your line holds up in the evening.
However with a good router you should definitely get better than you are at present.
Assuming you have a network port on your computer you have an almost unlimited choice but if you only have a USB port then one to consider is the Speedtouch 536v6
N/A

Merci!

Thanks for the reply Jim. I note I have a Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC possible connection so that would be network friendly? So the Speedtouch 536 would serve either connection it appears.
[I did an Ebay check but could only spot the one - available from OZ!]. Where might be a good source for purchase?
Community Veteran

foot shooting?

An alternate is the netgear DG834, which is Ethernet only.
Community Veteran

foot shooting?

Full price from http://www.dslsource.co.uk/products.aspx?idCat=2&pagingFrom=1
cheap but with only 30 day warranty from http://www.dsldepot.co.uk/index.asp? but make sure you get the v6 which is listed separately
N/A

Clear blue sky...

Thanks Jim & Peter.

Just to be totally clear - I connect the Speedtouch or the Netgear [both self powered]; and leave them switched on when I turn off my PC and they maintain the optimum line sync so that when I boot up the pc it won't affect the line sync? Smiley
Community Veteran

foot shooting?

They will both hold synch regardless whether your PC is connected or not.
However they will only hold synch while the noise margin/errors are reasonable - if things get too bad they will resynch at a lower speed.
One thing in favour of the Speedtouch with the 6.1.4.3 firmware is that you can tweak the default noise margin using the DMT tool. This is very useful if BT in their wisdom have put you on a 15dB default which can really mess up your speeds.