cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

flaky connection, router question...

N/A

hello there,

this is probably a router problem but it's worth posting i guess.
my 1mg connection seems to disconnect a little too much for a supposedly 'always-on' connection.
i also get the impression that if i haven't used the connection for around 10 minutes and then try, the browser will sit there like there is no connection.
then i try again after 15 seconds and the connection is there.
i then go into my router's config. page (Belkin F5D7630uk4A) and i see in the log that the router has dropped the connection in the prior 10 mins of idle time, and had to Dial on Demand for IP (server-assigned but static (!?!?!)).

So.... four questions....

1. Can I configure my router to use the static as non-server assigned.
2. why is the connection flakey (it might be my router but not sure if plusnet have had trouble on their 1mg accounts)
3. Does anyone anything about Dial on Demand? the router's manual is less than informative.
4. Wherever i read it says that if you use a username/password combo for adsl access the connection type WILL be PPPoE. but in the plusnet email sent when the line was active it said to use PPPoA.
what's the difference and why use one and not the other?

Thanks in advance
3 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

I use this very router at home, and initially suffered from a dropped connection until I changed the Idle Time setting to 0.

On pages 23 and 24 of the .pdf manual that comes on the enclosed CD you'll see what I'm referring to. Change it from the default of 5 (I think) to 0 and save changes.

Hope that helps.

Dave
N/A

The Idle time issue affects a number of routers that I know, another router that suffers this issue is the Netgear DG814.

Aaron
Community Veteran

Re: flaky connection, router question...

1. Can I configure my router to use the static as non-server assigned.

You should set your router so it obtains it's IP address automatically from PlusNet or is set to server assigned. The same should apply to the DNS server.

2. why is the connection flakey (it might be my router but not sure if plusnet have had trouble on their 1mg accounts)

See the idle timeout suggestion above. It does sound like your router has an idle timeout set and is disconnecting when idle after a period of time. In this situation, it can take a few seconds to resync and login to plusnet, hence your 15 or so second delay before you can access a website. Turning off the idle timeout will mean it should remain connected all the time.

3. Does anyone anything about Dial on Demand? the router's manual is less than informative.

Disable the idle timeout and you don't have to worry about this. If there is an option to dial on demand this should be enabled as it will mean the router reconnects if the line drops for any reason. On most routers this will be the default mode of operation.

4. Wherever i read it says that if you use a username/password combo for adsl access the connection type WILL be PPPoE. but in the plusnet email sent when the line was active it said to use PPPoA.
what's the difference and why use one and not the other?

PPoE is PPP (point to point protocol) over Ethernet and is used for a cable connection. PPoA is PPP over ATM (asynchronous transfer mode) and ATM is what ADSL uses. Your router should default to PPoA when connected to an ADSL line. If there is an option to set this then you should set it to PPoA with the corresponding info of Multiplexing method: VCMUX, VPI 0, VCI 38.