cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fire wall

N/A

fire wall

I have zone alarm installed on my xp system and at presant my conection is via a modem [still waiting for asdl]
When I get asdl up and running, is it better to upgrade to the zone alarm pro for the extra bits you get.
I spend far to long on my internet conection :-) and am a bit concerned about hackers, is this a big problem or has it been hyped up.
Is there any thing else you can do to help your pc ward off hackers.

--
IT TAKE'S TWO TO TANGO BUT ONLY ONE TO BE STUPID
9 REPLIES
N/A

RE: fire wall

Completely off topic and waste of time but I couldn't help noticing that your nickname is just like an AOL activation password!
N/A

You might want to try a system test using 'shields up' from http://grc.com [Gibson Research Corporation]. This should give you some confidence in how your firewall is performing.

In my opinion the basic ZoneAlarm should suffice for all but the most security sensitive users. Hiding your [unused] ports is the biggest step in avoiding potential hacking. On top of a firewall, it is equally important to make sure as well that you keep you web browser and O/S right up-to-date with the latest bug fixes in order that any potential security flaws are fixed.

BTW - what O/S are you running?

Hope some of the above is of use.

Chris.

N/A

> I have zone alarm installed on my xp system and at presant my conection is via a modem [still waiting for asdl]
> When I get asdl up and running, is it better to upgrade to the zone alarm pro for the extra bits you get.
> I spend far to long on my internet conection :-) and am a bit concerned about hackers, is this a big problem or has it been hyped up.
> Is there any thing else you can do to help your pc ward off hackers.
>
> I also am waiting for my adsl, I purchased Zone Alarm Pro and I think it is a very powerful and essential program for my needs. I think it allows a few more options than the free version and I think the whois fucntion is pretty cool (geographical tracker of people who hit you). A couple of words of caution before you purchase it though:

1. TECH SUPPORT IS NON-EXISTENT-When I installed ZA pro, I had massive problems with my computer. Tech support weren't interested in my problem and are yet to get back to me (the problem was in June)

2. BE CAREFUL WITH INSTALLTION-My problem was due to my avs conflicting with ZApro. I figured this out because after I formatted my hard disk and reinstalled ZA before my avs, ZA alerts you about the possible conflicts and installs in a safe manner. Basically try and install it before any apllications that may interfere

I hope that helps, I do think the software is probably the best out there, if you're confident with your computer and don't think you'll need tech support then I'd recommend it. You may want to check out BLACK ICE, another firewall that I know quite a few people rate highly

Sukie
> --
> IT TAKE'S TWO TO TANGO BUT ONLY ONE TO BE STUPID

N/A

> > I have zone alarm installed on my xp system and at presant my conection is via a modem [still waiting for asdl]
> > When I get asdl up and running, is it better to upgrade to the zone alarm pro for the extra bits you get.
> > I spend far to long on my internet conection :-) and am a bit concerned about hackers, is this a big problem or has it been hyped up.
> > Is there any thing else you can do to help your pc ward off hackers.
> >
> > I also am waiting for my adsl, I purchased Zone Alarm Pro and I think it is a very powerful and essential program for my needs. I think it allows a few more options than the free version and I think the whois fucntion is pretty cool (geographical tracker of people who hit you). A couple of words of caution before you purchase it though:
>
> 1. TECH SUPPORT IS NON-EXISTENT-When I installed ZA pro, I had massive problems with my computer. Tech support weren't interested in my problem and are yet to get back to me (the problem was in June)
>
> 2. BE CAREFUL WITH INSTALLTION-My problem was due to my avs conflicting with ZApro. I figured this out because after I formatted my hard disk and reinstalled ZA before my avs, ZA alerts you about the possible conflicts and installs in a safe manner. Basically try and install it before any apllications that may interfere
>
> I hope that helps, I do think the software is probably the best out there, if you're confident with your computer and don't think you'll need tech support then I'd recommend it. You may want to check out BLACK ICE, another firewall that I know quite a few people rate highly
>
> Sukie
> > --
> > IT TAKE'S TWO TO TANGO BUT ONLY ONE TO BE STUPID
>
> For what it's worth.

I use the free ZA on both my XP home machines with no probs whatsoever.

I also use AVG antivirus which i am very pleased with. www.grisoft.com

--
Regards,

Matthew

Change someones life;
become a teacher
N/A

> > > I have zone alarm installed on my xp system and at presant my conection is via a modem [still waiting for asdl]
> > > When I get asdl up and running, is it better to upgrade to the zone alarm pro for the extra bits you get.
> > > I spend far to long on my internet conection :-) and am a bit concerned about hackers, is this a big problem or has it been hyped up.
> > > Is there any thing else you can do to help your pc ward off hackers.
> > >
> > > I also am waiting for my adsl, I purchased Zone Alarm Pro and I think it is a very powerful and essential program for my needs. I think it allows a few more options than the free version and I think the whois fucntion is pretty cool (geographical tracker of people who hit you). A couple of words of caution before you purchase it though:
> >
> > 1. TECH SUPPORT IS NON-EXISTENT-When I installed ZA pro, I had massive problems with my computer. Tech support weren't interested in my problem and are yet to get back to me (the problem was in June)
> >
> > 2. BE CAREFUL WITH INSTALLTION-My problem was due to my avs conflicting with ZApro. I figured this out because after I formatted my hard disk and reinstalled ZA before my avs, ZA alerts you about the possible conflicts and installs in a safe manner. Basically try and install it before any apllications that may interfere
> >
> > I hope that helps, I do think the software is probably the best out there, if you're confident with your computer and don't think you'll need tech support then I'd recommend it. You may want to check out BLACK ICE, another firewall that I know quite a few people rate highly
> >
> > Sukie
> > > --
> > > IT TAKE'S TWO TO TANGO BUT ONLY ONE TO BE STUPID
> >
> > For what it's worth.
>
> I use the free ZA on both my XP home machines with no probs whatsoever.
>
> I also use AVG antivirus which i am very pleased with. www.grisoft.com
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Matthew
>
> Change someones life;
> become a teacher

I run XP Pro with AVG and ZA pro and have no problems however I prefer Black ICE defender to ZA each to his own. Just fancied a change and Installed ZA

N/A

> I have zone alarm installed on my xp system and at presant my conection is via a modem [still waiting for asdl]
> When I get asdl up and running, is it better to upgrade to the zone alarm pro for the extra bits you get.
Got XP + ZA Pro + Pest Patrol + PC Cillin. All installed trouble free and work very well together(Pest Patrol identifies spyware and other intrusive cookies and let's you decide what to do with them - leave them as they are; delete them; etc).
N/A

Definitely don't do anything until you get onto adsl and then try http://grc.com first. This will tell you how safe you are.

If you buy a router as opposed to a modem your router should filter out most ***** because its url isn't your computer's; nobody can see your computer's because it's on an intranet to your router.
N/A

Thanks folks for the info, good thought about the router.

And as for me nice cute name being like an AOL log on name :-)
Well it was once and it kinda stuck as I use it when playing online games like TFC
Ps [IM STILL WAITING FOR ASDL AND ITS BEEN 10 DAYS :-(]

--
IT TAKE'S TWO TO TANGO BUT ONLY ONE TO BE STUPID
N/A

Hi,

You have had a response to the ticket you sent in to us, as far as we can tell at the moment there shouldn't be any delays with the provisioning of your ADSL.

We can get a better idea of any delays should there be any on Monday when BT provisioning re-open.

Kind Regards,
Russell.
--
| Russell Till.......................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support .......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ---- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----