cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

filters

N/A

filters

do i need micro filters to connect my pc to the phone line when my adsl gets activated??

im not worried by phone at the mo

ta
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: filters

No.

Filters only need to be placed between the phone socket and any non-ADSL device (you can have more than one device on a filter).

Devices include phones, faxes, digiboxes and modems.

A filter is designed to filter out any ADSL traffic from entering the normal hearing range of the human ear.

As such, once activated and connected, you would hear bleed over the line. If you filtered the line to the computer, you would be preventing DSL traffic from reaching the DSL modem.
N/A

> do i need micro filters to connect my pc to the phone line when my adsl gets activated??
>
> im not worried by phone at the mo
>
> ta

You need the filter so the modem and phone can be used at the same time, the connection socket is different on a modem than a phone line.I don't understand what you mean by you aint bothered by the phone at the moment, if you mean you aint bothered about using it then you are defeating half the object of having broadband in the first place, ie phone free whilst online. Filters are dirt cheap anyway now around 7 quid or less.
N/A

> > do i need micro filters to connect my pc to the phone line when my adsl gets activated??
> >
> > im not worried by phone at the mo
> >
> > ta
>
> You need the filter so the modem and phone can be used at the same time, the connection socket is different on a modem than a phone line.I don't understand what you mean by you aint bothered by the phone at the moment, if you mean you aint bothered about using it then you are defeating half the object of having broadband in the first place, ie phone free whilst online. Filters are dirt cheap anyway now around 7 quid or less.

Am I missing something here, I am talking about USB ADSL modems, sorry if I've confused you .....or myself.

--
N/A

Regarding filters: short answer,yes.
Now for the tech version.
The connector(plug)on ADSL modems are not the same as 56k modems.(unless of course you have one that has a normal plug)
It is the american style connector and so cannot fit the normal phone socket.
Unless you have an adaptor that converts the non uk modem plug to a uk phone plug then you have no way to plug it in to the phone socket.
The filter will not stop the adsl modem from connecting.
N/A

RE: filters(extra info)

> Regarding filters: short answer,yes.
> Now for the tech version.
> The connector(plug)on ADSL modems are not the same as 56k modems.(unless of course you have one that has a normal plug)
> It is the american style connector and so cannot fit the normal phone socket.
> Unless you have an adaptor that converts the non uk modem plug to a uk phone plug then you have no way to plug it in to the phone socket.
> The filter will not stop the adsl modem from connecting.

By the way,it is a splitter/filter,modem plugs in adsl socket,phone in the other.