cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

file shareing who use's it

N/A

file shareing who use's it

who se's file shreing i think this is called peer to peer

about a month ago a few people were complaining about other people useing up the bandwidth on peer to peer

this is the main reason i got plusnets service

and then people say they might try to put a stop to itHuh

hmmm what do you think??
chrisSmiley
6 REPLIES
N/A

File Sharing - within limits

Personally I think that bandwidth for P2P should be throttled.

If a PC is left switched on 24 hours a day just to allow file swapping (normally of a dubious legality) then the effects are soon felt by other users.

However - I think a total ban is unfair for those who have signed up on the basis that they want to do P2P.

The best way to manage this is to throttle it based on download size per day / period e.g. if you download over 150Mb via P2P in a day the bandwidth FOR THAT PORT NUMBER (not for all browsing!) gets reduced...

Just my tuppence worth

wildmind
--
-------------------------------------------------
:p All life is a work in progress
it's the rate of progress that differs
N/A

RE: File Sharing - within limits

There are plenty of ways to user up more than 150MB a day without p2p.

Lets see ... 150MB say at an average 50 kbytes/second (good going) is under one hour. Does this sound excessive?
N/A

It's not excessive in terms of quantity but in terms of P2P overheads etc....

I am not implying there should be a limit on normal HTTP or FTP downloading but P2P does carry a large overhead (I run a network of 450PCs and have run extensive fluke tests so have seen the evidence)

The 150Mb figure was just an example - not a recommendation but as a user who uses ADSL for other stuff I would be narked if my service was seriously affected by people hogging it for P2P transfers of the latest low quality movies etc...

(Incidentally - I do use P2P at times but only have it enabled for a limited time and never leave it running excessively!)

--
-------------------------------------------------
:p All life is a work in progress
it's the rate of progress that differs
N/A

Peer 2 Peer to me is and always has been one of the reasons to get ADSL.
Especially with all the restrictions dial up users get now days with time they spend on line.
I really have to question the claims that P2P hogs all the bandwidth.
I have a mate who users P2P a lot and some times he can only be downloading at 3-5kb he seems to average around 20kb most of the time I have seen it a lot higher sure but not always.
If he downloads for example a demo or an update from an FTP server he always downloads between 40-60kb Now that is hogging bandwidth and yes I do know people who connect to FTP servers and download for 24hrs a day.
So what’s next or first FTP or P2P.
Also what about people who watch a lot of streaming movies man that uses quite a bit of bandwidth too let’s throttle them while were at it.

--
www.billysworld.co.uk
N/A

I agree with most of what you're saying dude.

Perhaps you should run Proxy or ISA server on your network. We use it in EDS, larger networks and it does the trick.

Re hogging bandwidth, I can't see how someone else who's on the same pipe could do that even with P2P/vid streaming. I'm talking about home users of course.

In my experience, P2P hardly ever dishes out stonking speeds but you are limited in the end by the ADSL package you have, size of pipe etc.

jlpappin
Grafter

I say leave it. Why throttle when it isn't that bad? We got a 10mbps pipe powering 50 of us. Even with everyone on we get 200kbps each. Hardly snail speeds. I doubt we ever have 50 people all hammering the connection at the same time and I know that for sure because I use the net at weird times due to work shifts.