cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extensions

N/A

extensions

I've just installed my binatone adsl 500 modem and got a blinking dsl light until i moved the computer to the primary socket in my flat. Connected to the primary socket im getting 463Kbps without any fiddling - a little low, but bareable. As every other socket in the flat is an extension is and its not practical to have the computer permanently tied up to the main connection I'm struck with a problem.

Whilst I'd love a reason to get a wireless router and some wifi cards this seems a little wasteful since I've just got the new modem so wondered if anyone knew anything about getting extension cables to work with DSL Is there a maximum distance that the cable can be? Are there any signal boosters like that you can get for CAT5? Thanks in advanced...
7 REPLIES
N/A

extensions

I guess is that the extensions are wired wrongly or are filtered from the master socket.
Extensions can be up to 100m with no adverse effect.
Get someone in the know to check the extensions. Do your phones work on the extensions ?Huh
Community Veteran

extensions

Do all the extension sockets not work with the modem?

Sounds like you may have your extension sockets wired incorrectly, if all the extensions fail it may be a problem at the master socket or they have all been wired wrong.

I suggest you check the wiring by using the following web site which contains details of how the wiring should look: http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html
N/A

extensions

lo,you can also phone BT fault line and ask them to test it,they will do it then and there and if there are any faults they will tell you right away.if its past your master socket they wont fix it,unless your feeling rich.but there test should show up a fault on any internal wiring.surprising it wouldnt be noticed when checking for dsl.i had mine checked before i had my dsl activated and they where able to tell me there was a dsl filter plugged into a socket inside.wont cost you anything but 2 minutes time on the phone.

PS they still came out and installed a brand new line anyways as i had ordered dslCheesy
N/A

extensions

are filtered from the master socket.

doh! There is a splitter coming out of the main socket... I didn't really stop to think what they could be for... will check as soon as i get back home.. thanks
Community Veteran

extensions

In which case read and follow the instructions in ADSL: Wiring and Filters.

The router must not be connected through the phone side of a filter/splitter, if you do it will never sync.
N/A

extensions

well im just going to go and crawl into a hole in embarresment as I've now got it working,,, by simply swapping the filter and splitter around (and yes ive made sure every phone still goes through the filter)... in my defence though I had no reason to believe that the wire leaving the splitter happened to go off to the exact phone socket i was trying to connect with!
Community Veteran

extensions

AT least you found your problem. Happy high-speed surfing.

You aren't the first and certainly won't be the last person to do this.