cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

explain this one then

N/A

explain this one then

Right here goes, I've put numerous messages on this board concerning connection drops, basically whoever posts messages concerning this problem always gets the same answer in the end, check this check that and so on, im not knocking that dont get me wrong. Ive been having connection drops now for about 6 months maybe a bit longer. I changed my filter forget how many times now, changed my modem (usb) and theres only a printer connected to the other usb.I haven't kept with the same make of filter either I've chopped and changed, and I've bought cheap and expensive. The thing is I've now noticed that the line drops happen nearly exactly every 3 weeks, and last for about 2 days, took me a while to notice this but it does seem strange. I got BT out to do a line test they found nothing wrong, although my wife was in at the time I was out and she said they was only here 5 minutes, found nothing wrong and charged me 50 quid plus for there assessment. If anyone could help Id appreciate it because there really is nowhere else to turn.
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

explain this one then

Is the modem and host pc connected 24/7 during that 3 week period before it looses connection?

As there is an issue with some of the cheaper routers and modems that either crash or lockout there web admin interface after a certain period of time. My router does that nearly every 3-4 weeks and my backup pci modem about once every 2 weeks
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
keithcalder
Grafter

explain this one then

I use a netgear dm602 which regularly denied me access although it reported the link was good. After some major farting around with mtu settings, I ended up changing my settings to rwin of 13900 with an mtu of 1430. Never had a problem since then, so its worth changing the settings to see if this makes a difference. I am assuming its a router you are using of course and I'm not saying it will work for you, only that its worth a try.

keith