cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exact diffeence between BB + and Premier?

N/A

Hi, I'm trying to advise a friend on getting PN Broadband, and trying to decide if BB Plus is sufficient or whether Premier would be needed.

I myself have Premier and am quite happy with it. I understand about the Usage Policy for premier, but this doesn;t apply to Plus as far as I understand.

The sales pages are a bit vague for me. The Plus package is "not suitable for filesharing or large downloads" - OK I guessed that as it is the cheaper package, but what are the actual technical limiits?

i.e. are there actually download caps, are there certain times when these apply, are certain ports or applications that are throttled or restricted?

My friend is a "regular" user, - web, email, occasionaly "heavy" websites with lots of pictures, maybe some animation etc, but no P2P, no music downloads, no movie downloads, no newsgroups,

I suspect Plus would easily be enough, but would welcome a litle more info.

Ta!
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Basically Plusnet have this kit called ellacoya e30's.

They use this to slow p2p and binary usenet down to a crawl on bb+. Because of that there are no caps or SUP on bb+ as it is near impossible to clock up such high usage without p2p and binary usenet. The ellacoya's don't work by ports they look at each packet and determine what type of traffic it is.

The other difference is the webspace allowance. IIRC on bb+ you get 100mb webspace with no CGI, php, mysql. On Premier you get 250mb with CGI mysql and php.
N/A

And you dont get webstats on Plus.
N/A

http://www.srae88.plus.com/res_packages.html

Heres a nice tabled rather unformatter description of the plusnet packages.
N/A

Basically Plusnet have this kit called ellacoya e30's.

They use this to slow p2p and binary usenet down to a crawl on bb+. Because of that there are no caps or SUP on bb+ as it is near impossible to clock up such high usage without p2p and binary usenet. The ellacoya's don't work by ports they look at each packet and determine what type of traffic it is.

shame they use this on Premier too, I'm lucky to get 5-10% of my 2mb bandwidth on P2P during peak times Sad . What's the point of paying for Premier when it's nowhere near Premier connection or service?? :x
Community Veteran

@nickj123. Have a read on the forums first! The latest announcement should interest you!

Welcome btw. Wink
N/A

Hi Smiley

which forum are you referring to?
Community Veteran

Community Support and Important Announcements are your best bet or you could try a search:

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/search.php
Community Veteran

This announcement would be a good place to start :-click me Smiley
N/A

thanks, I've found it now, it'll be interesting to see whether it makes much of a difference though.............
N/A

is there any way of getting past or duping the ellacoya's to show that your usage is not on p2p? because you pay all this money for a premier service with nothing like that in reality.

maybe a pipe dream but worth a try...
cheers
N/A

price of 4Mb

I am considering canging from PAYG to Plus on the upgade page the price for Plus 2Mb is £14.99 but for Plus 4Mb (when available) it is £24.99
Does anyone know if what the charge for PAYG 4Mb will be
Community Veteran

There are no separate products for PAYG 4 or 8Mbs because you pay for what you download. Speed of connection is not a factor in the product cost as it costs PlusNet exactly the same if you were connected at 512Kbs or 8Mbs.

Meaning if you have a faster connection you may download more data but in doing so, you pay more.