cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ethernet config help

N/A

ethernet config help

i'm hopeful that someone can help me here. i have an ethernet modem as supplied by plusnet that works fine when plugged into my computer's ethernet port. i now wish to put a router between my modem and computer so i can share the connection. as of yet this has been unsuccessful. i hook the modem into the router's WAN port but the router doesn't seem to pick up the connection. i have succesfully networked my computers using the router but cannot use the internet. any help would be greatly appreciated.
8 REPLIES
N/A

RE: ethernet config help

I am unsure if +net need a Mac address to get on the network?
What type of router is it?
What ip address is the router picking up?

N/A

> I am unsure if +net need a Mac address to get on the network?
> What type of router is it?
> What ip address is the router picking up?
>
>
>
>

my router is a linksys BEFW11S4 (wired and wireless connectivity)

i think its picking up a local IP - should it be picking up my plusnet static ip?
N/A

You dont say what you O/S or give us much detail. So not knowing the full setup you need to put the modem on one of the pc again and assuming your running a modern O/S run Internet sharing wizard.

If the pc with the modem is 10.0.0.2 on the other pc set the default gateway to 10.0.0.2(or what every the address is) and set up DNS and it should work.

As you described it at the moment the problem is the modem wont be in the same range as the pc's so they wont see it

> > I am unsure if +net need a Mac address to get on the network?
> > What type of router is it?
> > What ip address is the router picking up?
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
> my router is a linksys BEFW11S4 (wired and wireless connectivity)
>
> i think its picking up a local IP - should it be picking up my plusnet static ip?

N/A

Have a look in www.adslguide.org.uk forums and do a search on BEFW11S4.

Your problem seems to have been discussed a couple of times.
velmanatov

Try pinging an external IP address (say 212.159.8.137). That is, open a command prompt and type ping 212.159.8.137. If you get a reply from this then chances are that your only problem is your DNS settings. i.e. pinging portal.plus.net will fail because the name cannot be looked up even though it is actually the same address. Check your DNS settings on the router. If you get no reply to pinging the IP address directly then you may not have set the default gateway for your LAN machines or your WAN setting may be wrong on the router.

If you have set up the IP addresses on your LAN manually then make sure that you have included the router's IP address as the default gateway. If you are using DHCP then this should be configured automatically along with your IP addresses (and possibly DNS server addresses)... If you are using DHCP then check that you have no entries in the default gateway or DNS sections of your network settings. These could be conflicting with the dynamically assigned ones.

Also make sure that your WAN settings are correct on the router itself. Enter your static IP address and DNS server addresses as supplied by PlusNet.

Don't know how much help any of that is... Hope you solve your problem soon!
mkehinde2
Dabbler

I am having the same problem as you and have picked up valuable advise on the solwise forum I will try it out over the w/end.

Try this link and let me know if you're successful.
http://ds.dial.pipex.com/town/pipexdsl/o/aotg56/info/asus-linksys.shtml
N/A

thankyou everyone for your help. i've not had time to fix it yet but i'll let you know if it works out
mkehinde2
Dabbler

I got this from the Linksys Knowledge Base today and It worked for me

A.Connecting your DSL modem to the Router

1. First connect directly to your DSL modem without the router and verify that you can get on line.

#Note to get your network card settings when connected to the internet.

In XP go to command line and type ipconfig
in Other OS type winpcfg
Make sure you have the LAN IP of the modem = Gateway#

2. Once you've verified that you can get onto the internet without the router please proceed. If you can not please contact your ISP for further assistance.
3. Now unplug the Ethernet cable that connects to your DSL modem from the back of your computer.
4. Take the connection that you just unplugged from the back of your computer and connect it to the WAN/Internet Port of the router.
5. Take a different Ethernet cable and plug it into port closest to the WAN/Internet Port, or into the LAN port.
6. Look on the front of the router. The following lights should be illuminated:
- Power
- WAN/Internet Link
- Link/Act (On the port that you connected your computer to)
- Note If other lights other than Link/Act are illuminated on this port, that is normal
- You may have a few other lights illuminated depending on the model number router you have, but the 3 above must be illuminated for proper connection.
7. Hold the Reset button on the router for 30 seconds or more
8. Restart your computer

B.Configuring your router
1. Double click on Internet Explorer located on your desktop or on the start menu
2. Once "Internet Explorer" has opened type http://192.168.1.1 into the "Address" bar and click Go
3. An window called "Enter network password" should appear
4. Leave the "Username" field blank and go to "Password" and type in admin and click OK
5. Now the setup screen should appear, please follow the steps below for the type of IP address you have and the type of service.

6. Scroll down to the WAN IP address or WAN Connection Type from "Obtain an IP address automatically" to Specify an IP address
a) Input the following settings you made note of earlier:

b) IP address = your IP address assigned to your card by modem/router
c) Subnet Mask
d) Default Gateway = the modem IP
7. Click Apply and you should be able to surf.

I have added my comments to make it easy.