cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email hosting, set-up etc

sinewave
Grafter

I want to know just how email works when PN hosts a domain name.

If I have a domain name hosted by PN does the email sent to that domain name simply get put in the same "box" as plus.com emails?

To be more specific...
say my PN email address is x@y.plus.com
and say my PN hosted domain name email is x@DN.com

now the situation is that I'm getting lots of spam sent to x@DN.com
I'd therefore like to redirect x@DN.com emails
I can set-up a webmail box for the spam but it looks like the box will store all emails starting with x and this will include x@y.plus.com as well as x@DN.com. I just want to put emails addressed to x@DN.com in a webmail box.

In other words can I filter emails to a webmail box on the basis of full email address and not just the name before the @?

Can someone clarify this for me?

I am asking this for a friend who has been confused on this subject by PN tech support. I looked at the tickets he was sent via contact us and I have to say the help provided was absolutely terrible. From what my friend wrote, it was clear he was new to all this yet the answers were less than clear even to someone like me who is pretty good at this sort of thing. I recommended PN to him and I feel embarrassed by the poor help he was given, after which he is even more confused and frustrated.

Thanks in advance
(sorry if this is posted in the discussion category)
5 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

This is a common area of confusion.

All email points to the default .plus.com. Therefore mailbox@username.plus.com is the same as mailbox@mydomain.com.

They cant be seperated with the current Plus Net setup.

Hopefully I have understood your question correctly and that answer clarifies things.
sinewave
Grafter

That does clarify things and thank you.

So this brings in the next part of the problem.

Two email addresses being used:
dave@username.plus.com
dave@domain.com

lots of spam coming in on dave@domain.com
how can I filter out stuff on that email address without touching emails sent via dave@username.com

or
redirect emails sent to domain and not redirect emails sent to username?

It feels to me its not possible which is a bit rubbish isn't it?
I'd be better finding a different host for domain email?

Tom
glyndev
Grafter

it is possible to do some filtering of emails using the message rule filters in Outlook Express.

Two of the possible actions that can be set up are 'do not download from server' and 'delete from server'.

Hope this is of some use
N/A

Short of using a third party client to filter spam your options are limited.

We currently overcome the spam issue with our domain email accounts by using Plus Nets spam filter coupled with Outlook 2003's excellent spam filter.

Short of creating a new mail box and directing the old mail to a blackhole address, there is not much else I can suggest.
sinewave
Grafter

<snip>
Short of creating a new mail box and directing the old mail to a blackhole address ,<snip>.

This is what I want to do! But if I do this for Dave@domain.com then the process is also is applied to Dave@username.com - correct?

I want to simply dump all emails for Dave@domain.com to a "blackhole". With plusnet hosting the domain I don't think I can do this without dumping all emails to Dave@username.plus.com too, as the filter is applied to the word before the @.

I don't want to loose the "dave" bit in the username email.

All I can think of doing is getting my domain name hosted elsewhere.

Perhaps someone can confirm my thoughts are correct?