cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eDonkey 2000 problem

N/A

eDonkey 2000 problem

Greetings,

I have been using the Plus.net 2mb line for about a week now and have been very satisfied with the level of service as of yet. The line is fast, stable and there have been no disconnections so far.

i have been using a variety of p2p programs for downloading, mainly Soulseek, Overnet/eDonkey2000 and Kazaa. Soulseek and Kazaa appear to function satisfactory but there are some serious problems with eDonkey2000, which the main p2p program that I use.

I have been using Overnet and eDonkey2000 (same clients, different name) for about 2 years now. However, since I changed to Plus.net neither of these programs can connect to any sources. For those of you that are familiar with these programs, you probably know that when they accept incoming connections the status changes from unclear/unreachable to clear/connected. Well, my client stays unclear and I can accept no incoming connections and as a result there is no downloading (nor uploading).

The machine on which I have been using eDonkey has been the same for a long time, and never had any problems with it until now. The firewall has been configured correctly and ports forwarded appropriately. The modem is the BT Voyager 105 ADSL.

Are there any eDonkey users on this board that can help me with this problem ? Any help would be much appreciated,

Thank you
35 REPLIES
N/A

eDonkey 2000 problem

ok i can help out on telling you don't use edonkey.. emule is safer .. i would stear clear of kazaa too ,80% of the files on there are shit and packed with viruses and worms........use Dc++ ...... Bittorent
you will see a difference Wink

as for your issue ..hmm.. thinking! :?
N/A

eDonkey 2000 problem

Actually eDonkey and eMule share the same technology more or less

The problem is that these programs use specific ports for connections, mainly: TCP: 4662 and UDP: 4672

The clients don't work because connections cannot be established to these ports. I know for one that my firewall is not blocking these ports and I am not using a router either. Even when shutting the firewall, the clients won't work.

So...
N/A

eDonkey 2000 problem

Are you using the latest version of Emule? have you installed SP2? SP2 limits the number of half concurrent connections to 10, and this can have a big effect on P2P programs. There is a patch to change this though.

What makes you say it's not a firewall issue?

Aaron
N/A

eDonkey 2000 problem

Yes, i have tried the latest version of both eMule and eDonkey,
No, I haven't installed SP2,
and the reason i don't believe this is a firewall issue is because:
a) I had been using the current settings with the clients for one year and they worked until I changed to Plus.net
b) even when I shut down the firewall, the clients remain unconnected.

So something must be blocking the ports (even though I tried changing them)

I just hope it's not the ISP
N/A

eDonkey 2000 problem

Plus Net only block 135 and 445, and that's only at their network borders.

I'm sorry to say it, but I think something has changed on your setup, and most likely it's a firewall issue. I know you say your've not changed anything, but if your connecting via a modem then I can't see how it could be anything else.

Most of these P2P programs include a port test function, have you tried it?
N/A

eDonkey 2000 problem

It's a relief to learn that Plus.net only blocks these two ports, thank you.

There are at least three websites for the eDonkey clients whose purpose is to test the ports I've mentioned before. Yes, I've tried them and got connection errors.

Does anyone know if port-forwarding is available on BT Voyager 105 ADSL modem ? I begin to suspect that the modem might be blocking the ports, since the modem configuration was completely automated.
N/A

eDonkey 2000 problem

It's your firewall, not the modem, modem don't block ports.

What firewall are you running?

Aaron
N/A

eDonkey 2000 problem

hm....

The firewall is Norton Internet Security 2004

eDonkey has full access over the firewall, this is also visible in the logs where eDonkey is granted access by the firewall

I'll try uninstalling it though, and install some other firewalls.
N/A

eDonkey 2000 problem

It's probably only granted, outgoing connections, not inbound. Which is where the problems lie.

Try Kerio, it's free and very very good, it's what I use, so I can tell you how to add the rules you will need.

Aaron
N/A

eDonkey 2000 problem

No luck I'm afraid.

After uninstalling Norton Internet Security and installing some other firewalls (Kerio, Agnitum Outpost and Mcaffee) I've come to the conclusion that it's not a firewall issue. Outpost provides a very usable network traffic panel and it was quite obvious from there that the client program (eDonkey) just wasn't able to receive any incoming bytes. I've even tried turning off the firewall but still no result. So, I have to restate the initial assumption, that there is something else blocking the ports. This could be:

a) the modem: which probably isn't either
b) the ISP: which definitely isn't

There's something very elusive here.
Any help greatly appreciated.
N/A

eDonkey 2000 problem

The only thing I can think off is to check that your xp sp1 firewall is off. Aslo take a quick look at the bbc headlines at login, I wonder if some is blocking ports.
N/A

eDonkey 2000 problem

The only thing I can think off is to check that your xp sp1 firewall is off.

The firewall is always off.

Aslo take a quick look at the bbc headlines at login, I wonder if some is blocking ports.

hm... what exactly do you mean by that ? I'm afraid i miss the point.
N/A

eDonkey 2000 problem

Most firewalls don't allow incoming traffic with hasn't been initated by your pc, without adding rules.

Install Kerio, and set the emule program to permit all trusted (both in and out) and internet (both in and out) . Kerio will display all connections on your PC plus which ports are being used. So you can monitor for any incoming traffic (it's highlighted in Red)
Community Veteran

eDonkey 2000 problem

Have you actually tried with all firewalls uninstalled (not just installed and disabled because some don't fully release the connection even when they are disabled) and the PC rebooted afterwards.