cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e-mail problems

N/A

e-mail problems

I have just upgraded to broadband about 3 weeks ago but now cannot send or receive any e-mails. when i open outlook express it informs me that " my server has unexpectedly closed my account " . This all seems to have happened since i changed to broadband i had no problems before with my e-mail.

everything else is fine , do i have to change my settings in outlook express ?
any ideas anyone ?

regards M. grealish
14 REPLIES
michaelscott
Grafter

e-mail problems

are you checking emails stored on another ISP? If you are, it may be that they don't permit you to download emails from a connection on another ISP
N/A

e-mail problems

Did you switch to PlusNet broadband from another ISP, or did you just upgrade an existing PlusNet dialup account to broadband?
vic_newey
Grafter

e-mail problems

I had exactly the same problem, my old ISP was lineone & I still want to keep the.mail address I had with them. You need to change your setting in tools, accounts. these are my settings, (change ISP to yours.)

incoming server pop3.lineone.net
outgoing server, relay.plus.net

if the outgoing server still has your old ISP then that is you problem I think
N/A

e-mail problems

i didn't switch from another ISP all i have done is upgrade from Plusnet dial up to Plusnet broadband ADSL self-install so i don't see why there is a problem !

thanks for the feedback anyway

regards M Grealish
Community Veteran

e-mail problems

If you have just upgraded from dialup to ADSL then there should be no problem as you have said. :?
Only thing I can suggest is that you delete all the existing mail settings and set things up again from scratch. Cool
N/A

e-mail problems

I have deleted all my original settings in outlook express and reset them but i'm still getting the same message Sad

any more ideas anyone ?
N/A

e-mail problems

Can you login using this online client? It connects to the same POP3 server as your mail client does, so if this online version works then it means that their is most likely a problem with your settings.

If you can't login on the online client, then I'd suggest you raise a link:contact us ticket, as it could be that there was an error somewhere when the account was upgraded.
N/A

e-mail problems

euro , yes i can log in using "this online client " looks like i didn't miss anything apart from spam Cheesy lol

these are my current settings in outlook express
incoming mail server - POP3
incoming mail - mail.plus.net
outgoing mail - relay.plus.net
i thought these were correct
sorry to be a pain in the ass any idea where i'm going wrong ? Are these settings correct or should i delete everything and start again ?

cheers M grealish
N/A

e-mail problems

I'm still having no joy with my e-mail, should i also delete everything on the plus net side and start completely from scratch ?
my current Outlook Express settings are in the post above can any one tell me if these are correct ?
N/A

e-mail problems

Hmmm, well at least we've narrowed it down to your settings. I don't think deleting the settings on the PlusNet side would do anything, because as far as I can tell there's no problem there (you can login to the online client perfectly).

A few things to check in the Account properties:

• Make sure "Log on using Secure Password Authentication" is unticked
  • Make sure "My server requires authentication" under the "Outgoing mail server" heading is also unticked
  • On the "General" tab, ensure that the "Reply address" and "E-mail Address" are both set correctly (something like mailboxname@mgrealish.plus.com)
N/A

e-mail problems

Check that you don't have any Anti Virus running that might terminate the connection as it checks for Virii
N/A

e-mail problems

hi guys

i have done all of the above but still no joy Cry
i'm starting to feel like a real thicko ! i still don't understand why this has
happened because i never touched any of my settings before !
this is doing my head in :shock:

thanks for all your help guys
Happy new year Wink

regards Mgrealish
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

e-mail problems

Hi Mgrealish,

Try checking on the webmail to ensure that there are no corrupt or large messages on the server waiting to be downloaded.

Also check your firewall settings to ensure that it isn't set to block Outlook Express.
N/A

e-mail problems

My e-mail is now working Cheesy not sure which of the last few tips worked !

Just like to say cheers to everyone for their help

Happy new year guys
M Grealish