cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dynamic / static ip addresses

N/A

Just a quick, hopefully simple question. If i currently have a static IP address, how can i make this a dynamic IP?
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You can't. PlusNet only support Static IP addresses for ADSL.
csogilvie
Grafter

It may become possible in the future though.
N/A

how can you gat ur ip changed. I have adsl, wanted to get my IP changed but the support tem wont do it. just bought mcafee net security with firewall. I'm gettting haker attemts and viruses all the time.
Community Veteran

If you give them a good enough reason they should oblige you and change it.
I think one of the problems though is that with IP addresses being a limited resource they need to have a good reason.

Remember that your old address will get re-used so someone who gets it may start suffering the same hits. It's better all round if you can block hits at your end with firewall etc.
N/A

singh101

Are you sure these are hacker and virus attempts dirrected specificly at you?

Regardless of which IP address you will have, you will still get such attempts regardless. This is the nature of the internet.

Provided you have suficient protection, you should be OK.

No amount of changing IP addresses or dynamic IP's will stop this from happening.
Community Veteran

It depends on the frequency of these scans as to whether it is a problem or not. If you are getting thousands per hour then that is a good reason to ask for a change, if it's just a few hundred per day then that is just normal 'internet noise' which we all get and there is nothing you can do about it. You just let your firewall do what it was designed for and block them.

The only main reason for getting an IP changed is if the scans are effecting your connection speeds or you are being targetted with a DoS attack. If they are not (and a few hundred per day will not) then you just have to live with it like the rest of us as it being a normal part of being connected to the internet.

FYI even if you were allocated a dynamic IP, it would not stop such activity.