cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dropping internet connection everyday around 10pm - help

N/A

Hi there

was looking for some advice on the forum as i am finding the customer service route a wee bit frustrating Sad but thats another issue

my internet connection via my ADSL line works fine during the day my 2MB package normally testing to 1.85 or somewhere thereabouts - fine

however when I get to approx 10pm it drops the connection completely - I cant browse the internet nor play any games over the server (the 2 main reasons i have broadband and the main time i want to use it). The connection stays dropped till after midnight - its not just a simple case of waiting 5 mins and rebooting

I have the free ZyXEL prestige 600 series (USB connection) modem, plugged into the back of my IMAC G5 (512 MB)

Is anyone else experiencing this consistant drop in connection, and even better anyone got any recommendations on beating the problem?

many thanks

Roddy

PS when my ADSL connection drops can i access dial up for free seeing as I have an account with PN already? - cant find info on that on the help site either.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: dropping internet connection everyday around 10pm - help

PS when my ADSL connection drops can i access dial up for free seeing as I have an account with PN already? - cant find info on that on the help site either.

You can access the net via your dialup connection but I'm afraid you will have to pay for the phone call you make to do this.

With regard to the dropping out. Only suggestion I can make is to beg, steal or borrow a router from a friend and see if that works ok.
This will eliminate the gear at your end.
N/A

i get the same problem - the connection doesn't drop and the modem still holds its IP address, but no traffic will pass out. i've yet to try pinging the default gateway to see if its there once the connection falls over.

no resolution i'm afraid - PN have now palmed me off onto BT (who if they don't find a fault will pull my pants down for £46 + vat!!!)

bah
boone70
Grafter

I have a simlar problem using a router so I doubt that the modem is the cause.
I just think that the technology has got ahead of the people trying to provide it to the public. Talking to friends and relations on other ISPs they have simlar faults. I suppose in time they will sort it out. In the mean time keep biting your finger nails
E L
N/A

With me it suddenly drops at about 7 7:30 and wont reconect again. I have to put an old phone it to get it to work. After 10 its fine with a higher snr
N/A

FWIW I used to get clusters of ADSL disconnections at work most mornings between 7:30 and 8:30 but that cleared up when I replaced the extension wiring. To this day I don't know what caused it.
Grff
Grafter

i get the same problem - the connection doesn't drop and the modem still holds its IP address, but no traffic will pass out.

I got that about a week ago with my netgear wireless router and usb adapter when i had speeds around 2mb. Everything checked out, but couldn't get any sites.
I put it down to somesort of timeout on the usb adapter, but now I think it may not be.

A few days ago my speed dropped to 500k, but i seem to have access all the time now.

I have just gone through the plusnet fault checker regarding the speed drop and got to the end of the check where plusnet seem to think there is a fault.
N/A

I've had this problem for 6 months now and the wife is bending my ear to leave PlusNet as a result. I've been through the full support process from PlusNet and it was left to me whether I wanted a call to BT (as the guy above). I've taken the opportunity to upgrade to a new wireless router to see if it was a problem at my end, but I'm getting the same problems.

Typically it's fine all day, and keeps dropping out all evening. Sometimes it's for a few minutes, sometimes for 10-15 mins. Yesterday evening for example it dropped out about 7 times. I'm going to buy a new filter just incase it's that and probably kick off the BT fault process, and if none of that fixes it, I'm going to have to leave PlusNet as I can no longer tolerate this. As a result, I'm starting the process of looking at moving my websites off PlusNet probably next week.
N/A

i wouldn't waste your time / money on new filters. i've tried this and also had the router replaced for a new one and it still happens.

i've done some basic monitoring on the router and can see that during the day the noise levels on the line are at a pretty standard level. but in the evening they jump all over the place. i have a friend who lives in the same area who is also on plusnet and is having no problems at all. Which leaves it to be either problem with the wiring in the house or a problem between my house and the exchange. Knowing BT - i'm gonna put my money on it being a problem with the exchange (contention or something like that, or maybe the evening cleaners coming in and unplugging routers to power their hoovers!)

i'm going to try a good quality length of cable tonight to see if that yields any benefit and will post back tomorrow or saturday. if that doesn't solve it i'm gonna gamble on the BT callout
N/A

It is odd that it's time based though. Mine fell over briefly this morning but has been rock solid all day so far. I predict about 7pm it'll stop. Always seems to be the same thing: PPP Shutdown, whatever that means?
N/A

try and monitor the line noise if you can in your router (somewhere under advanced settings maybe?)

i find exactly the same, during the day its really stable - then in the evening it all goes to pot...
mikewogden
Grafter

I have the same problem with a Safecom router, around 9:30-10:30PM the router will lose its sync and I lose the connection.

I'm now on my second support ticket, PM CS closed the first one unresolved.

My old 2Meg system was fine (about 1.2Meg connect speed) but this ADSLmax rubbish is causing the problem.

During the day my SNR is about 6 - 8 db but during this evening disconnect period it drops to 3-5dbs. (more activity = more noise).

PN support have investigated that problem and passed it onto BT who stated thay found a problem at the exchange, but that doesn't seem to have made any difference.

I am still begging to be reverted back to the stable 2 Meg system but no joy as yet.

Keep plugging away guys and we'll get their in the end or Sky Broadband here we come!!!! ( Thats when they LLU the Barnstaple exchange).

Mike
N/A

The thing is, I'm not on ADSL Max. Well, at least I don't think so, there's been nothing from PN to tell me that I am, though this did all start about 5-6 months ago after 3 years of very reliable use. How can I tell? My router shows this (bold for readability):

Mode State Up Speed Down Speed SNR Margin Loop Att.
G.DMT SHOWTIME 288000 2272000 9.0 28.0
N/A

i'm going to try some new cabling in the house tomorrow now and leave it over the weekend to see how it goes. if there's no difference i'll get it escalated to BT. touch wood its been better tonight and hasn't needed restarting at all! wow!
N/A

I have been getting regular disconnects at 23:31 and 03:38 and have been so predictable to the second. These normally only last for a minute so have not been a problem. But a do have random disconnects, the majority from 16:00 until midnight. These can last from a few seconds to hours. As I want to run an email and web server I decided it was about time that I did some investigation on my setup.

I have seen mentioned several times on these forums that removing the ring wire improve the SNR. I was sceptical for the rational for this as it been stated; The ring wire acts as an aerial, yes it can do but so does the other pair of wires that are needed for the telephone connection. So the ring wire should pick up the same noise as the pair. So why removing it should it improve SNR? But I did remove the ring from the extension and this did slighty improved the SNR but did not stop the disconnects.

So last night I divert my landline to my mobile and plug the router directly into the back socket of the master socket. This had the affect of increasing the SNR from 10db to 20db. It also increased the attentuation from 45db to 55db. The latter does not make sense, I only can put it down to the router believing that some of the noise is the signal. Left this setup for 14 hours and I did not have any disconnects and normally I would have seen approximately 10.

This proved that the problem was either with the extension wiring, filters or the other equipment that I have on the extensions. So reinstated the extension wiring but unplugged all the equipment. The SNR reverted bact to 10db so this proved that it was the internal wiring.

All the internal wiring I installed 18 years ago when I gutted the house and I terminated all six wires, normally only 3 are needed but as I use to do freelance work on telephone loggers a 4th wire was needed and the other 2 do have a use so I terminated them just in case. So I removed all the wires except for pair on terminals 2 and 5 from extension faceplate in the master socket. The SNR and attenuation then went back to what I was seeing when I was plugged directly into the master socket. I reinstated all the equipment and returned the router to the extension that I normally used. The SNR stayed at the higher value.

This has stopped the disconnects, the SNR drops to 11db in the evening while before it was dropping to 2 to 3db. So my recommendation is to remove the additional wiring at both the master socket and extension.