cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

downloading / uploading at the same time

N/A

(im 2mbit/256kb)
when im downloading a file it goes quite fast, but when im uploading i notice that my download starts to go slower, then when im at max upload my download goes at a tortise pace, is this normal or not?
im using a speedtouch 510(v4) router on 2mbit monthly subscription line.
10 REPLIES
N/A

It could be your router can't cope, but it does seem a little strange. It could also be your line is boarderline for 2MB and the extra traffic is pushing it over the limits but I'm guessing here.

What file are you downloading? or this via P2P?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Thats normal you cant upload at full speed and download at full speed, your connection still needs to talk to the site/ftp etc that its getting something from. If you can limit your upload to 20kB and download to 50kB for 512k and `100kB for 1mbit
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Thats normal you cant upload at full speed and download at full speed

Yes and no I would say, since it depends what you doing to max out your connections. I use Bit Torrent P2P and frequently max out my upload connection, while still being able to download at near max.

I have placed a 110 limit on my download connection to allow for other applications such a e-mail and anti-virus.

The problems surana is suffering could be related to a maxed out upload but I'm not conviced since the effect is so dramatic, I'm wondering whether the router's processor can cope since the faster the line, the more work for the processor etc.

adp450, the post was for a 2Mb connection by the way, just noting your comments about limiting upload etc.
N/A

Your your able to max out your download whilst maxing your upload, then there is something wrong with your BT client, reporting incorrect speeds.

By my estimates, a 512Kb like generates around 2 to 2.5KB per second. So your upload speeds with drop suffer to allow download acks.

At 2Mb, your talking a 8 to 10KB drop in speed. COnsidering the Max upload speed is 30KB/s, it will be very noticable in either the download, ro the upload.
N/A

well you can have Access lists on some routers / free/open bsd that packet sort to allow the ACKs high priority and everything else less.. thus enabling you to get a better upload/download speed at once. When Plusnet arnt killing my speed i can get 240 / 28 which isnt bad Cheesy

it used to be 20/30 lol
N/A

Prioritisation of ACK packets (also known as Turbo TCP) is good for stability of connection only.

240/28. Are you still sure, because as I said in my previous post, at 2Mb, ACK data consumes are between 8 and 10KB of your upload at the full 240KB/s download.

Turbo TCP will spit out the ACK packets at a higher priority, so that the download peer does not suffer from ACK bottleneck, thus shlowing down the download.

The ACK data still needs to be transfered. The ACK data still consumes the same bandwidth. It doesn't magicaly vanish.

What tools are you using to monitor speed of transffer?

If your using a network layer monitor, then yes, it will show 240/28. Because that includes overheads and ACK data. They don't monitor how much effective data is being transfered in your torrent.

This is somewhat like downloading two files via FTP from two different sites. Your download counters may say 240KB/s, but that is overall, and not the effective transfer rate of each download.
N/A

I did say near maxed out on download, while maxed out on upload. To be honest I've since placed limits on both upload and download since BT downloads do suffer otherwise, and I need other programs to be able to work at the same time.

However from what your saying (Phil) maybe my BT (Azeus) client is reporting the wrong speed since I've had uploads running sometimes at 36, but mostly 32. I use another program (netstat) to check my traffic on uploads and downloads, so I'll check that this evening.

Following on from you've also said, I didn't think the effective of maxing out your connection in one direction would be so dramatic, since I've never suffered this. I'll bear it in mind the future.
N/A

yup im using BT client Azureus, only way to get a download speed above 30kb is to limit my upload to 5kb which sux, my router is a alcatel speedtouch 510(v4) so it should be able to cope with my line. From what everyone is saying it looks like it cant be helped and i have limit my upload, too bad. Thanks for all the comments Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Azureus 2.1.0.4 has a number of bugs in it, which makes it fail to run at full speed, best to get an updated CVS version and put the jar file in its folder.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

With BT, I usually set my upload to about 20, and sometimes I still manage to get download speeds of over 200kb/s Smiley