Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

download limits - peak times

N/A

hi,

just wonderin :
1 What are the peak times for 2mb plus broadband??
2 how can u see how much u have used per month in the peak times??

if there is no way of knowing how much has been used in the peak times how are we meant to know we have gone over the limit??

Also are plusnet very strict about the download limit - say i went over 500mb - 1gb ??

also does using two things at once , say a pc and a xbox 360 on xbox live contribute twice as much as one??

thanks
26 REPLIES
N/A

Hi ansel5131,

Firstly The peak time limits currently are very complex for the average user. I will explain if you like but looking into the near future I dont see the point in blowing your mind with old info.

The peak time limit ( active in April ) is;
SUP = 30GB
Up to 10GB you will not see a slowdown.
Between 10 and12.5 you will see a slight slowdown
Between 12.5 and 15 you will see further slowdowns
and 15gb onwards you will see a blockage on protocols that allow large file transfers with http, pop3 and smtp etc etc being left on a 512 speed.

As for looking at what you have used, there is a VMBU tool. Located Here.
Simply look on the menu on the left under My Account select Connection Settings and then select the top left icon called View My Usage.

If you use say both a PC and Xbox360 at the same time then yes your usage will increase ( but not necessarily double ). You see bw is the amount of data passed back and forth your connection.

I hope this helps you a little bit.

Regards,
N/A

when these new usage limits come in does that constitute a another change to my contract with yet another detramental effect on my usage and at that time would i be able to cancell my contract with no further payment to plus net
N/A

heatherswan,

Im not 100% certain on this actually. I am not sure if notice of this change was given when it was posted on the forums ( which would mean time will expire in approx 1 - 2 days time ) or if it is otherwise.

All I can say is that you would need to phone up or raise a ticket asap to find out. Hopefully one of the comms team will be able to look at this thread to answer your question fully. All I know is that if your contract is void you would still have to pay the deferred activation fee or deferred migration fee as well as any deferred hardware fee's.

Regards,
N/A

thanks for your help and may i say that if the staff at the help and support showed as much respect as yourself then they might get a few more satisfied customers.........instead of being down right rude and ignorant........and its clear to me that they have been told that the customer is never right......i asked about the changes to my package and was told they are not changes they are a product refresh yeah we know............it still boils down to not getting what i signed up for.....never mind not long to go now...but boy just keep an eye on those isp provider stats and watch pn do a dive thanks anyway

i signed up for unlimited (or contended) but not limited did you
keithcalder
Grafter

Isn't 100GB a month with 15GB at peak times enough? It is for most peeps including me. Cheesy
N/A

dont know what package you are on but i get nowhere near that before im capped....my gripe isnt about the amounts so much as to i am no longer getting what i signed up for........... and when questioned they maintain the package has not been changed just refreshed well to me that is changed and changes i did not agree to.............i know that now i do not get the same quality as i did in december.....so something has change..........butas i said before not long to go till july
N/A

What are the peak times for 2mb plus broadband??

Hi Heather,

Just to clarify, are you on the Broadband Plus up to 2MB account.

If that is the case we may just need to clarify the limits for you as BB+ is entirely different to the Premier product.
N/A

yep i'm on BB+
N/A

The full anouncement and details of the forthcoming product refresh can be found here

Its a long read, but the detail is there.

Specific to your account the info is as follows.

Plus will only be offered to new customers as a single product, costing £14.99 a month and with speeds of upto 8Mb.

The current peak Time data transfer allowance will be changed from 5GB between 8AM – Midnight, to 3GB between 4PM and Midnight.

After this allowance is reached, usage restrictions will be applied to the account up to a 10GB peak time SUP limit which counts all traffic. Details of our new SUP policy are below.

Off-peak usage will not be counted, but this product will receive a lower priority than Premier, PAYG and Business customers during periods where the network is running at capacity off-peak.

Permanent rate limits are applied to common protocols used for large file downloads at all times (This is not a change).

Hope that clarifies things a bit.
N/A

thank you very much mark it clear things up as to were i stand now but that is very different to when i signed up and no matter what anyone says to the contrary i know i am not geeting the service i signed up for through no fault of my own......but i will be away in july most definatly thank very much for your help very much appreciated
ScoUK
Grafter

The peak time limit ( active in April ) is;
SUP = 30GB
Up to 10GB you will not see a slowdown.
Between 10 and12.5 you will see a slight slowdown
Between 12.5 and 15 you will see further slowdowns
and 15gb onwards you will see a blockage on protocols that allow large file transfers with http, pop3 and smtp etc etc being left on a 512 speed.

Apologies for bringing this topic back up.. I know it's been discussed over and over and over sooo many times.!

I honestly thought I understood all the usage levels on the plusNET product lineup.. However sadly it appears I was wrong.

ok... For the Broadband Premier Option 1 package, we have a Sustainable Usage Policy (SUP) of up to 30GB peak-time usage. As per this page:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/sustainable_usage_guide.shtml

Now. on another page: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml
.. and part of the quote above there is information relating to peak time usage beginning to be restricted at just 10Gb for a Broadband Premier Option 1 Package..

Excuse me for being completely confused by this but it seems the new Option 1 package is unrestricted up to 30GB of peak usage (with a warning email sent out at 24GB).. But wait it does get restricted if your peak usage goes over 10GB!, and heavily throttled after 15Gb.

So basically what's the difference between the two usage policies?

Either the package is unrestricted at peak time up to 30GB or it is throttled at 15GB..

Anyone care to try and clear this up for me once and for all?
N/A

Hi Alan,

I will do my best to explain things a little for you.

You are right in what you say on both counts. Under the new packages you will have BOTH a SUP and whats been come to known as a Clean To allowance.

Now the SUP is and will remain at 30GB. The Clean To allowance will be altered to 15GB with management starting at 10GB.

The way it works is that from 0GB to10GB you will get the maximum your line can offer ( pending normal contention restraints ).

From 10GB to12.5GB you will see your http, pop3, smtp etc speed reduced to 20mb and your P2P, FTP etc speed reduced to 256k.

From 12.5GB to 15GB you will see your http etc reduced to 1mb and your P2P etc reduced t 128k

From 15GB onwards your http etc protocols will all be served at 512k whilst potocols such as P2P, FTP etc will all be blocked.

This is then where the SUP comes into play. Because you still have a speed of 512k on your normal protocols ( protocols which are not known for large file transfers ) you may go up to 30GB during peak times. Once you breach this 30GB peak limit you will see your whole connection restricted to 128k. You can request to have this management taken off once and once only. If you breach the peak time SUP again you will be managed at 128k indefinantely until you either upgrade your package or leave the network.

I hope this has cleared it up a little further for you.

Regards,
ScoUK
Grafter

Thanks for the explanation Tom it's much clearer now...

So just to clarify a couple of other things.. 1) No matter what the current restriction is, the "off-peak" usage between midnight and 4pm will be unrestricted?
Or is off-peak restricted after the 30GB SUP is exceeded?

2) Has any sort of limit on off-peak/full daily traffic been decided? (previously 80 or 100GB, cant remember, for full daily usage)

One further note.. Surely it's going to be pretty rare for anyone to hit the 30GB peak SUP with just http for the final 15GB. Unless this includes audio/video streaming protocols. (mind you there are many sites that offer both ftp and http downloadables)
IMO the 30GB peak is fair... Cheesy
N/A

Alan,

I am not completely certain about the first point, but certain enough however to say that I think you are restricted on off peak also if you breach the 30GB SUP limit.

If you remain within the 30GB SUP on peak then you should have little problems during off peak. As always it is said that if you are wanting to download GB's upon GB's upon GB's then perhaps the service isnt right for you. This being said however we have a clear indication that 100GB during off peak in a month is feesable but if your looking for a lot more then perhaps a different package or even ISP is a better move.

I cant see there being any probs in streaming music and videos over the net as most are http based.

Regards,