cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

downgrade to pay as you go

vic_newey
Grafter

I really can't justify paying for premier account as I rarely ever exceed 3 meg since my son got his own b/band.
Now I realise that everything else remains the same regarding webspace etc I think this is the best bet for me.

If I change to pay as you go will +net charge me a fee ? I can't find any info regarding this
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

It will cost you a £14.99 one-off downgrade fee because the new account costs less than your current one each month.

Click on connection settings -> upgrade account and select PAYG 1GB monthly contract. Then select the included allowance you want and the final page will tell you the charge for changing. Then just click by to initiate the change.

Note: If you normally pay by direct debit, you need credit card or debit card details on your account to take the payment as the payment cannot be made via Direct debit.

Or you can ring customer support 0845 1400 200, explain what you want to do and give your card details over the phone.

Also see the help page: Changing your PlusNet broadband product
N/A

You can join the PAYG scheme at, initially, a higher download rate than 1 GB. If the cost is the same or more than BB Premier you shouldn't have to pay a regrade fee. Subsequently you can downgrade to the PAYG level which is suitable for your download requirements. This may work out cheaper than initially going for a low rate and paying the downgrade fee.

the help section states:
Changing PlusNet broadband - one-off charges

8. How much does it cost to change my broadband product?
Use the broadband product upgrade tool to calculate if there is a one-off fee to change your broadband product.

When you are in the upgrade tool:

* Click the 'Change your product' button.
* Choose the product you want to move to from the dropdown list.
* Click 'GO'.
* The off-fee for the the move, if any, will be displayed.

Basic rules:

* Changing to a product with a higher monthly subscription price than your existing product is normally free, unless a BT product change is required.
* Changing to a product with a lower monthly subscription usually includes a one-off fee.
* Changing to a product with the same monthly subscription may include a one-off fee - this depends on your existing product and the product you are changing to.
* The monthly subscription of Broadband Pay As You Go and Broadband Home Lite products includes pre-paid data transfer, e.g. £14.99 (base monthly subscription) + £2 (pre-paid data transfer) = £16.99 (monthly subscription).
vic_newey
Grafter

You can join the PAYG scheme at, initially, a higher download rate than 1 GB. If the cost is the same or more than BB Premier you shouldn't have to pay a regrade fee. Subsequently you can downgrade to the PAYG level which is suitable for your download requirements. This may work out cheaper than initially going for a low rate and paying the downgrade fee.

thats a good idea but if I selected 8 or 9 Gig to equal or exceed premier in cost & they didn't charge me anything then I doubt they would let me drop to a lesser ammount a month or two later , or would they , Hmmm? :?
Community Veteran

Changing the included allowance up or down on PAYG is free - the change occurs at your next billing date. It is only switching products that incurs a charge if the new monthly fee is less.

Give it a try via the upgrade account link in connection settings and see what it says. When I just tried it (selecting 8GB included giving a £21.99 monthly fee) it stated no downgrade fee was required.
vic_newey
Grafter

Sounds good to me then, I'll give it a try & see what happens
vic_newey
Grafter

Err, just spotted this lol

There may be a one-off charge associated with changing your included data transfer.
chymorva
Grafter

Hi,
IIRC this has been brought up previously, and I seem to remember that it was said that it is the basic amount that determines whether or not there is a fee payable. This would mean that you would have to pay to change from premier to PAYG (since the basic amount for PAYG is £14.99). Any extra bandwidth paid for in advance does not count as a regular monthly payment, hence being able to change that amount freely up or down.
Hope this helps.
vic_newey
Grafter

apparently not so now as I have now downgraded to PAYG but with 8 meg allowance & hence still £21.99. with no charge added
Strangely enough, the inc data change message relating to possible charge has now dissappeared & been replaced with this, & I checked that this does not incurr a charge either