cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

downgrade possible??

N/A

downgrade possible??

I have got some problems with my line and the connection gets really bad sometimes.
I run some Line tests with BT and they say my line only supports up to 1mb.

I also checked my router and i got high Line Attenuation of 57db and a Noise Margin of 12db on my downstream.

Is there a way Plusnet can slow down my connection to 1mb?

Thanks for any help.
4 REPLIES
Midville
Grafter

downgrade possible??

Have you tried to raise a ticket? You can upgrade an account online but I cant 'see' how you can downgrade. Maybe a ticket will do but I am not sure. I am sure one of the MODS or someone can add more detail than me.
Community Veteran

downgrade possible??

I assume by your post that you are currently running at 2Mbs. If so, I'm surprised BT actually allowed that speed on your line considering the limit was 43dB, which you are way over. You are only just under the 60dB limit for 1Mbs.

How long have you been running 2Mbs? If only a few weeks, then raise a ticket and get PN to raise a fault with BT to get the line downgraded to the correct speed. If it has been longer than a few weeks, see what PN say when you raise a ticket, but you may have to pay £14.99 to have the speed reduced.
N/A

downgrade possible??

oops, yes i am on 2mb at the moment and it was fine until last week when it started to go really bad.

I have been with PN since 01/07/2005.

I will raise a ticket and hope PN can sort it out.

Thx
Community Veteran

downgrade possible??

Have your line attenuation and SNR always been as you posted or were they much better when you joined - i.e. within the limit for 2Mbs?

If they have degraded, have you tried connecting the router to the master socket and better still, the test socket behind the lower user removable cover on the master socket, to see if the stats improve. If they do it could indicate a problem with your internal wiring. Also try without a filter in the test socket - just use an old 56k modem cable between the router & BT socket - to eliminate any possible filter problem.