cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

distance of extension from main phone connection

N/A

distance of extension from main phone connection

Set up my a360 modem last week on a phone extension about 8 mts from my my main phone connection. Apart from the dodgy splitters it worked Ok. Running at about 450kbs on ave and no drop offs. getting a ping of about 40 on UT2003.I moved my computer desk at the weekend and when I plugged back in my ASDL link wouldnt work this was using a phone connector and the same extension.I phoned plus net and after a few things that didn't work they told me to take my computer downstairs and plug into the main phone connection.
I was a bit dubious but it did work. only problem i can't really leave my computer set up on the stairs " joke". I plugged a 10 mt phone extention and it worked. Took my computer back upstairs and using the same 10 mt extension it wouldn't work again. Does my phone signal need boosting and if it does can I get a booster. Any thoughts please. P.S sorry it is so long winded, but it's pretty hard to explain. Thanks in advance Mike.
8 REPLIES
chino
Grafter

RE: distance of extension from main phone connection

You said you used a " phone connector " what do you mean by this? Do you mean you have a phone plugged in downstairs aswell lead to your computer?

cUnDaLl

p.s. DSL is great once you get over the first problems...
--
1.7 GHz AMD XP, 768MB DDR PC2100 Crucial, 120 GB HD IBM Deskstar

Why do we do it because we can...... Smiley
N/A

> Hi
The first connection I was using was a normal extention wired into the main connection with the wire running upstairs to an extention box. this worked fine until I moved my computer. when i took my computer downstairs to the main phone box
I plugged in a 10 mt connector which is just a plug in >connector . the connector worked downstairs but wouldn't work at the 10 mt length. I have tried both the extention and the plug in connector with and without the main box phone plugged in.

> You said you used a " phone connector " what do you mean by this? Do you mean you have a phone plugged in downstairs aswell lead to your computer?
>
>
> cUnDaLl
>
> p.s. DSL is great once you get over the first problems...
>
> --
> 1.7 GHz AMD XP, 768MB DDR PC2100 Crucial, 120 GB HD IBM Deskstar
>
> Why do we do it because we can...... Smiley
>

N/A

I have a long extention with no problems so it doesnt need boosting. It sounds as though you have put another phone or somthing on the line. I had a problem with ren if I plug a 56k modem in it kills adsl unless I remove a phone.

I sounds as though its a dodgy connector.

> Set up my a360 modem last week on a phone extension about 8 mts from my my main phone connection. Apart from the dodgy splitters it worked Ok. Running at about 450kbs on ave and no drop offs. getting a ping of about 40 on UT2003.I moved my computer desk at the weekend and when I plugged back in my ASDL link wouldnt work this was using a phone connector and the same extension.I phoned plus net and after a few things that didn't work they told me to take my computer downstairs and plug into the main phone connection.
> I was a bit dubious but it did work. only problem i can't really leave my computer set up on the stairs " joke". I plugged a 10 mt phone extention and it worked. Took my computer back upstairs and using the same 10 mt extension it wouldn't work again. Does my phone signal need boosting and if it does can I get a booster. Any thoughts please. P.S sorry it is so long winded, but it's pretty hard to explain. Thanks in advance Mike.

N/A

> Set up my a360 modem last week on a phone extension about 8 mts from my my main phone connection.

got a splitter n phone downstairs ten mtr lead n splitter phone n pc upstairs no problems.can't help though not technic minded
:bandit:
N/A

I have a normal splitter in my bt main phone socket where i connect
my extension lead for my computer to get asdl and another phone. Also in this splitter ( the main bt phone socket) i have inserted a plusnet asdl splitter so i can put my main phone in it otherwise it squeals.
At the end of the extension i have put my second asdl spliter for my computer router modem and my second phone. This works perfect for me and is about 10 meters from the main phone socket. If i connect my 56k modem through the phone part of the asdl splitter i can have both, asdl and 56k at the same time. No probs. Also i have had to get another normal splitter to put in the main asdl splitter phone part so i can have my main phone and my sky digi box. So in my main bt phone box there is a normal splitter, extension into this and a asdl splitter. in this another splitter with a phone and sky digi box. Thats a lot of splitting
Looks like a xmas tree in that socket now
N/A

> I have a normal splitter in my bt main phone socket where i connect
> my extension lead for my computer to get asdl and another phone. Also in this splitter ( the main bt phone socket) i have inserted a plusnet asdl splitter so i can put my main phone in it otherwise it squeals.
> At the end of the extension i have put my second asdl spliter for my computer router modem and my second phone. This works perfect for me and is about 10 meters from the main phone socket. If i connect my 56k modem through the phone part of the asdl splitter i can have both, asdl and 56k at the same time. No probs. Also i have had to get another normal splitter to put in the main asdl splitter phone part so i can have my main phone and my sky digi box. So in my main bt phone box there is a normal splitter, extension into this and a asdl splitter. in this another splitter with a phone and sky digi box. Thats a lot of splitting
> Looks like a xmas tree in that socket now
>

N/A

Thanks for your time everyone. I am sat on the stairs at the moment "again" I think it must be a dodgy splitter.I'll have to wait for the new ones plusnet are sending" if they ever do 10 days now since I got their E saying they would send some new ones. has anybody receieved new ones yet" i'll post a message about it"
Thanks again Mike

> > I have a normal splitter in my bt main phone socket where i connect
> > my extension lead for my computer to get asdl and another phone. Also in this splitter ( the main bt phone socket) i have inserted a plusnet asdl splitter so i can put my main phone in it otherwise it squeals.
> > At the end of the extension i have put my second asdl spliter for my computer router modem and my second phone. This works perfect for me and is about 10 meters from the main phone socket. If i connect my 56k modem through the phone part of the asdl splitter i can have both, asdl and 56k at the same time. No probs. Also i have had to get another normal splitter to put in the main asdl splitter phone part so i can have my main phone and my sky digi box. So in my main bt phone box there is a normal splitter, extension into this and a asdl splitter. in this another splitter with a phone and sky digi box. Thats a lot of splitting
> > Looks like a xmas tree in that socket now
> >
>
>

N/A

Well, my Modem/router is hung off a 10m extension cable with a self-bought filter on the end and it works fine (I'm glad I went 'wires only'). The extension is plugged into a 3-way standard splitter provided by Sky when they fitted my digibox - I'm going to attach a second filter on this to cut the squeal on my voice line downstairs (although this isn't too bad - the line is usable as it stands for short periods anyway). The moral of the story seems to be buy your own kit, as Plusnet's stuff ain't that great.....

Gary Mc