cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

discrepancy between speed and browsing....

N/A

discrepancy between speed and browsing....

First, I used to get good speed >400kb back last autumn. Since new year it has been crap...a 56k modem would be better on too many occasions.

I've tweaked the MTU etc both manual and with PLUS's software. But still it is mince!

Anyway, too frequently, (the wife and kids give me the grief) the speed is still really slow - I do a test on PLUS tester and get a decent enough 300k's but then on www browsing it becomes rank. Doing tracert suggests that there are numerous points of delay after plusnet.

what can be done? do you or others see similar - do i have to get grief from family for our "fast" internet access.

5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: discrepancy between speed and browsing....

There is not much that can be done regarding slow access on points after leaving the +Net controled network.

+Net can work with other providers, to see what routing changes, if any, need to be made, to produce better connections, for both sides of the connection, however, how you would go about asking +Net to do this, is another matter.

This can only be done, if it is a near linking bandwidth provider though. The further away you get, the less chance of making anything happen.

It would be best to paste 4 or 5 lines from your traceroute (2 before the time increase, and 2 after), along with the address you are trying.
N/A

> It would be best to paste 4 or 5 lines from your traceroute (2 before the time increase, and 2 after), along with the address you are trying.

I agree with your comments.

I'll also post some tracert stuff this evening - at work now. Though I have to say from viewing over a period there is frequently delays at the next server just after passing on from +net (i forget the name).

cheers

N/A

<snip/>

> Anyway, too frequently, (the wife and kids give me the grief) the speed is still really slow - I do a test on PLUS tester and get a decent enough 300k's but then on www browsing it becomes rank. Doing tracert suggests that there are numerous points of delay after plusnet.

IIRC others have reported swapping the primary and secondary dns servers around has fixed their 'slow browsing' problem.
N/A

> First, I used to get good speed >400kb back last autumn. Since new year it has been crap...a 56k modem would be better on too many occasions.
>
> I've tweaked the MTU etc both manual and with PLUS's software. But still it is mince!
>
> Anyway, too frequently, (the wife and kids give me the grief) the speed is still really slow - I do a test on PLUS tester and get a decent enough 300k's but then on www browsing it becomes rank. Doing tracert suggests that there are numerous points of delay after plusnet.
>
> what can be done? do you or others see similar - do i have to get grief from family for our "fast" internet access.
>
>
> have you tried the Plusnet beta DNS Servers? I had problems loading pages with many blanks & outages until I changed the settings.

Ian Wild recommended these settings in a post on the Plusnet forum re Sky.com,
"As an experiment, can you try using our Beta Caching DNS servers at 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50. We would really appreciate your feedback with regard to these.

You will need to set these manually in your TCP/IP properties."

Hope this helps, It certainly helped me

Andy

N/A

> IIRC others have reported swapping the primary and secondary dns servers around has fixed their 'slow browsing' problem.
>

i've swapped to dns as recommended - seems to be an improvement on browsing - though it can hang occasionally - if left un-used for hour or so.

on starigh speed tonight ......

plus net speed test 453 kbs

adslguide yields 334 kbs down and 245 kbs up.

what is likely situation with the temp. DNS - are we going to be notified of the fixed and spec'ed up ones when they come on stream?