cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disconnection

N/A

disconnection

Hi.
Having only been on broadband for a week, as you can imagine I am not used to it, but I seem to be having a problem with the line being continually dropped.
I dial out and after a short time I get disconnected, this happens quite a few times untill it will no longer connect me at all. I have tried reinstalling the modem drivers (several times) I have been informed by the help line to disconnect the modem from the phone line for 1 hour but the problem still persists, at the moment I am having to use dial up !!
Could there be something wrong with my set up or could it be a problem at your end.
thanks Colin
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

disconnection

First of all have you checked out the following Tutorials?
Wiring and Filters
ADSL Trouble Shooting
N/A

disconnection

Thanks for getting back to me. I had to go out for a few hours today and when I returned switched on the computers no problems at all, connected first time and remained connected. I will assume it was just a bad time.
Thanks Colin
N/A

disconnection

I seem to be getting the same problems again, Last night I remained connected for about 5-6 hours no problems, today I got disconnected after about 1/2 hour and I have not been able to get back on since. I tried every thing that was suggested in the links but still cannot get on. Is there anything else I can do?
N/A

disconnection

Have you checked your exchange status at all? (See user tools link on my footer)

Are you getting any noise on your phone line?
N/A

disconnection

Thanks for that, this is what they have to say.
BT is reporting that some of the virtual paths at this exchange are not operating within BT Wholesale's planning guidance, although they are still operating within the product specification.

At busy times, your ADSL connection may operate at a reduced speed, although not all customers on your exchange may be affected. You should only contact support if there is no current ETA date set.

The ETA fix time is: 03 Nov 04

Record last updated: 11 Oct 04

Historical information for this exchange:

Status Date
04 Oct 04
27 Sep 04
20 Sep 04
13 Sep 04
06 Sep 04
I don't think it looks very good.

[Moderator's note by Chris (Eurotrain4): Removed the accidental double-posting for you]
N/A

disconnection

Hi, you accidental posted your reply twice Wink lol

Hmm this could be the source of your problems. Could you monitor when these disconections happen, i.e. time of day and we can see whether it's related the time when the exchange is likely to be busy.

At least you know work is scheduled to be completed soon.

Aaron
N/A

disconnection

I have a slightly different disconnection problem. My broadband connection would not stay on, say if I am away from the computer for only 10-15 min.
I have to click on the browser to reestablish the connection.

When I am using my computer and browsing even for hours, the connection is fine. No disconnection.

Huh
N/A

disconnection

chiuuk, can you describe your setup, i.e. modem or router etc.

Does the sync light go out then?
N/A

disconnection

I am a Macuser with a built in Airport Extreme card, a wireless connection using Linksys G54G router.

You asked, does the sync light go out? Sorry. what's that?
holdtight
Grafter

disconnection

on the basic setup screen for the linksys router select
Keep Alive: Redial Period and keep the default 30 seconds
then save and exit
N/A

disconnection

on the basic setup screen for the linksys router select
Keep Alive: Redial Period and keep the default 30 seconds
then save and exit

That's the setup I have had ever since it was first wired up.
Not doing any good.
N/A

disconnection

Well I have tried to keep a record of my disconnections but I find it impossible, it happens at any time of the day or night, there is no set pattern A couple of times I have managed to stay connected for 2-3 hours the rest of the time the line is being dropped from anything from a few seconds to a few minuets. I do not even have to dial out, the green light on the modem just goes out and I have to sit and wait untill it comes on again before I can dial out.
I must admit I am thinking of trying another ISP just to eleminate Plusnet from the problem, I feel that I am spending money on a 24 hour connection that will not stay live for very long. is there anything else you can suggest that might work.
N/A

disconnection

Just to say since my last post I have had no problems,the line is not being dropped and I am not being dissconected . I hope it stays this way Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Moderators note by John (johnessex) duplicate post removed.