cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disconnection every 5 minutes

N/A

Hi All,

Was sooooo looking forward to fast broadband - all I have at the minute is huge problems. Have installed the usb modem (binatone) it worked fine for about three hours and since then it disconnects every five minutes - am pulling my hair out at the minute!!! I've done all sorts - run it in master socket with no phone attached, run it without zone alarm, reinstalled using drivers from the web site, updated motherboard drivers, tried it with a powered usb hub, changed the splitter etc etc etc (went to bed at 2.40 this morning and need matchsticks to keep my eyelids open!!!) Thought I might wake up this morning and it was all a bad dream - no such luck Cry

Have reported problem to plus net who will get bt to check the line - apparently could take 48 hours or more - looks as if its back to 56k for (it just cut of again!!) a few days.

wondered if anyone had any suggestions (nice ones that is!!)

Best wishes

Tracey.
6 REPLIES
N/A

If you know anybody else with ADSL, then you may be wise asking if you can borrow there modem to test it using your account details on your own line.

Another note, you have stated you have attempted connection to the master socket.

If the problem relates to faulty cabling, then it could still be affecting it here. Have you attempted plugging the modem into the inner socket of the Master plate?
N/A

Thanks Phillip, I haven't tried that - if it should be that would that require bt to fix as its the main socket?

Tracey.
N/A

No, this would be your responsibility.

The master socket (also known as a NTe5) is the point at which the BT servce terminates in your premesis.

Under contract, you are not supposed to touch any part of the BT network. Original sockets didn't provide a system through which you could wire your own sockets, thus you had to break the law, or pay BT money to perform the work for you.

The master socket has a detachable front facia, with a inner socket. The only part you are allow to play with, includes plugging stuff into the inner socket (that is the boundry of the BT network) and anything on the removable facia.

On the rear of this facia, is a mouted BT plug that will go into the inner socket when scrwed together. There is also a punchdown krone block, onto which you attach your wires doing to the extentions.

By removing the facia, you should be isolating any and all extentions located around the house (provided BT havn't wired them directly into the network protion of the NTe5). If your modem still fails when plugged into this inner socket, then it could either be the modem or a fault within the BT network.

If this fixes the problem, then it would sound like you have a faulty extention cable within the house. You would either need to isolate this, or replace th cabling.
N/A

Have tried it Phillip - no luck, its disconnecting just the same!!!

Tracey.
N/A

Have you got a splitter for each phone in the house? If not, unplug them all and try again
N/A

Thanks Jeff - we have installed a modem/router and this has solved the problem - gave up on the usb modem in the end.

Tracey.