cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disconnecting and reconnecting router and loosing l.a.n.

alkan
Dabbler

i have a new netgear dg834 v3 wired router/modem.
this site via my account/high speed broadband tells me the connection speed is 4500 kbps but if my hardware states a higher speed i can correct the difference by disconnecting and reconnecting for three consecutive days.
when i tried this, i lost the lan connection and ive had to do a repair via windows to re-establish the ip address.
has anybody got an answer to this problem.
i installed the router with the disc provided and have never changed any settings set by the installation wizard.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Sounds a bit odd. Can you just confirm, that after you reboot the router, you are not given an IP address from the router?

Have you tried using static IPs, to rule out a DHCP issue
alkan
Dabbler

after disconnecting and reconnecting the router is not connected and i have to click on the "no lan connection" icon which appears and initiate a repair via windows. at the moment the router gets the ip address dynamically from the isp. should i change to use the static address option.
a thing that puzzles me is that i disconnected and reconnected the router for three consecutive days last week to match up the speeds reported by the hardware ( 6500kbps) and this site (4500kbps), without any problems.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

you get an Ip address from Plus, that will be dynamic probably, and is only used by your router. You PC will be allocated an IP address by the router usually in the format 192.168.1.** or something very similar. What I meant was have you tried setting your PC to use a static Ip address rather then one given by the router. This may or may not help, but its worth a try. My router sometimes took an age to give me an IP, so I set it to use a manual one, as I only have 2 PCs on my network. If you are not sure how to set a static IP, post back.

This may not help, but it would rule out a router DHCP issue.