cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disconnected every 5 mins on new PC

N/A

As the title says, the connection drops every 5 mins, it also takes ages for the line to stabilise for me to connect in the first place. On my old pc, which i am on now, there is no problem with the line at all. I have tried the new PC on the master socket for the line and it makes no difference. It is very unusual the disconnects seem to happen after almost exactly 5 mins each time.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? It's driving me insane!
3 REPLIES
N/A

Can you give more information on the problem,Ivan

Hi there,

I think your going to have to give substantially more information on your problem before anyone or myself can start to help you with that.

a) What Hardware are we talking of
b) What OS windows, linux (if so what flavour),apple Mac etc
c) Dailup modem, router
d) Dialup old, dailup ADSL modem, ADSL Router, wireless router/modem?
e) What kind of PN service do you have, PAYGO, BB+, BB premier etc
f) Have you checked for obvious things like the correct driver versions, checked your modem/router settings or configuration, checked the splitter,etc,etc

Ivan (glad help you if I can)

--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
The True power of knowledge is when its shared.
N/A

a) What Hardware are we talking of

Standard binatone modem that came with the broadband. I have also tried using my Netgear router, but i try this the router cannot connect at all. However somestimes, when it has been left for a very long time, like when i leave it on and go to bed, i sometimes find the router has managed to find a connection and it is still up in the morning. This connection doesn't seem to drop as fast.

b) What OS windows, linux (if so what flavour),apple Mac etc

Windows XP home on the new PC, Windows 98 on the old.

c) Dailup modem, router

As stated binatone modem and a Netgear Router

d) Dialup old, dailup ADSL modem, ADSL Router, wireless router/modem?

ADSL modem and router

e) What kind of PN service do you have, PAYGO, BB+, BB premier etc

BB Premier

f) Have you checked for obvious things like the correct driver versions, checked your modem/router settings or configuration, checked the splitter,etc,etc

I have tried it using every thing the same apart from the PC, same splitter, same cables, connected to the same port. The old PC does not drop connection, the new one does, almost exactly every 5 mins. What drivers might i need? The modem is configured the same for both PCs
N/A

Replying Again Ivan

Hello Again Colombine,

OK!! thats better and much more helpful. For now I would just concentrate on your new PC (dont worry about the Win98 machine), lets focus down on the one where you have the constant dropped connections.

1) I'd like to suggest that you try and get some line statistics if you can? this might be possible with the router you mentioned. Some ADSL routers will log line stats and I'm suggesting you do this inorder to find out if the problem is with your phone line. Obviosuly a very noisy phone line can and will cause a dropped connection or cause a loss of sync.

2) Failing that, if your router or modem isnt able to log the line conditions of your connection. (and not all routers do have this feature!) I'd like to suggest that you either contact Plusnet via the contact us ticket (open a support ticket) or contact them by phone and explain the nature of the problem too them and ask them if they would be kind enough to perform a whoosh test on your connection. This will prove or dis-prove noise on the line or some other line related problems.

**If the problem IS found to be line related it can then be passed forwards to BT for there faults team to sort out.

3) Drivers, make sure you do actually have XP compatible modem/router drivers. So check binatones website for the latest XP drivers for the "Standard binatone modem" (check the driver version you have, you can do this using MS-system infomation tool, see program menu,accessories, system tools,system information). Updated drivers can make a difference.

4) Have you tried to completely un-installing the "Standard binatone modem" and then re-installing it (re-boot the system in between if you are going to try this though). **You could just delete the Standard binatone modem from the device manager tree in computer management tool, reboot the system and plug & play should try and re-detect the hardware again for you?

5) Check ALL your TCP/IP connection settings with a fine tooth comb, its very easy to miss a vital setting or incorrectly set a parameter.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
The True power of knowledge is when its shared.