cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disabling NAT on netgear dg834?

N/A

how do i go about disabling nat on the dg834 and setting it up so that one computer(linux router) has direct access to the internet, disabling nat is the easy part, but netgear don't seem to have any instructions on getting the dg834 to run as a simple gateway.
any help would be great Smiley
8 REPLIES
mssystems
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I don't know if the DG834 supports it but you could try a zero IP bridge.

You assign your public address to the inside interface of the router and it bypasses the routers NAT function. You will need a second public IP for the Linux routers outside interface.
N/A

Sad don't have a 2nd public ip, and i don't think plusnet would give me 1 for testing lol

after looking some more i don't think the dg834 supports bridged mode, and any form of internet access that bypasses the nasty NAT
N/A

I've spoken to plusnet regarding multiple IPs and they will give you a block of 4 (2 useable) for your account. You can also get a block of 8 (6 useable) but you have to fill in a RIPE form to justify your needs.

Another solution- put two network cards in your linux box with different class IPs. Eg. 1 card 10.0.0.2 and the other 192.168.0.1
Plug the router into one, and your switch (with the rest of the network) into the other. Then set up routing between the networks. Your router should then just send everything to the one network card on the sever which will then route accordingly to the network on the other interface.

Let me know how it works out.
Community Veteran

denet,

Can I ask why you want the Linux box to have direct access to the internet. Is it so you can run several services from it or for some other reasons (i.e. the linux box is acting as your firewall). All of those can run perfectly happily through the NAT router.

If you want to run services (web, ftp etc) you can setup port forwarding for the specific ports you want.
N/A

i wanted to bypass the nat because one of the computers runs a small irc server (only handles 20-100 connections atm) but even that is enought to crash the router but a computer acting as a router should be able to work with far greater inbound connections (or @ least thats what i have been told)

@dessltd
how would i go about requesting the additonal ip's?
how much is it going to cost for the extra ip's
and "RIPE" form?

solution2:
the problem with thats is the NAT on my netgear router would still be active, and it would still crash as soon as the number of active connections start to rise
mssystems
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

How about losing the router all together and adding a DSL modem to the linux box as the outside interface. Use the existing Ethernet card as the inside interface and Nat traffic from the LAN between the Ethernet card and the Modem.

Sort of a simpler hybrid of what dessltd was saying.

Regards
Matt
N/A

You'd just have to ring up plusnet and ask them about another IP i don't think it will cost anything. Having 4 IP addresses is called the "No NAT" option. RIPE is a form which you have to fill in to say why you need extra IPs Its just a way of stopping anyone and everyone wasting Ip adresses.
N/A

@mssystems
i was considering that, however i wanted the hardware router just incase the linux one failed (i don't trust hdd's, have owned 2 ibm deathstars) and as i'm not working atm building a computer with a solid state hd would be a little to costly

@dessltd
thx for the info, the no nat looks very nice, i wounder if i can convince them to give me 4 working ip's (2 irc servers (yes i've asked to host another one, and they both want the same ports), linux router for the workstations, and the netgear router) as 6 would be over kill, i *could* use 6, but it would just be testing/development atm, and would probably be demed wastfull