cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

differences between 2 meg and 8 meg ?

N/A

Basically I got upgraded about 1 month ago to 8meg. When I connect it says connected at 6.9megs. Now every time I do a speed test(as a result of web pages taking ages to load) I always have under 1000kbs, 9 out of 10 times it is 700kbs. When I was on my 2 meg I would mainly get 1800kbs. The upstreams are the only speed that is consistent to what it should be. Is there no contention ratio anymore ? I thought the whole idea of paying for Premier Broadband was that the contention ratio was lower and you got better P2P speeds ? Is there no contention ratio on max dsl ? Write back if you know any facts please

Cheers
7 REPLIES
N/A

I always have under 1000kbs, 9 out of 10 times it is 700kbs

It's worth checking your line profiles. See my post at this thread:-

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49192

It's also worth checking your exchange as well, just in case:-
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

AFAIK Premier did/does not give a lower contention ratio (50/1), Business products did (20/1).
N/A

Yeah sone that. Just want to know how it is possable to be upgraded and most of us PN customers are suffering ?!?!?
shellsong
Grafter

Actually PN used to claim maximum contention ratio of 30:1 on their centrals whilst BT used to claim 50:1 maximum locally but if you seriously look at the actual contention you are experiencing, 20:1 at 8 Mbps would be 400Kbps and at 50:1 it would be 160Kbps and most people are getting much better than even the 20:1 equivalent-- I just happen to think that in 2006 we ought to be able to expect better than this and we can thank negligible improvement in broadband infrastructure costs and rollout for this!

LLU could help if not handled by a hamfisted money-grubbing bunch of opportunists
Slipperymack
Grafter

I have just move back to my old 2MB IPstream connection after 5 months of MAX madness. Hopefully I will now get a quiet life without having to worry about bRAS, loss of syncs etc etc etc.

Good luck to those for who MAX has worked - but for people like me it has been a bit of a disaster. Router was synching at 5 -6000 under MAX bur rarely got more than 2500 download speed and I had a cycle of very low speeds, down to 120ish then it would move up as the stable rate went up and then it would go down again when sync was lost etc. etc. Long term sufferers will know the score.

Anyway I ma now back onto my 2MB, previous to MAX rock solid connection, my router is synching quite nicely @ 2200, no loss of sync, download speed stable at 1900ish and hopefully no worries.

BT, yes I blame BT not PN, have a lot to answer for, with old cables, lines, equipment etc trying to cope with MAX technology.

Anyway good luck with your connection.
Community Veteran

In all fairness to BT (god help me sticking up for BT *washes mouth out with soap*) IIRC back in the 1980s? they wanted to roll out a fibre network but were stopped by the then government in favour of the cable companies...
N/A

Maggie Thatcher the Broadband snatcher
Slipperymack
Grafter

No just Maggie Thatcher the snatcher.