cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dg814

Boundey
Grafter

dg814

alright peeps - just had the BT engineers in here to check out my line. They traced the problem to being actually internal and they said it might be the wiring in the house or the actual modem/router. My problem was low margin readings at about 11db. Sad Sad

They said summit along the lines of...
'These ADSL lines are configgured specifically for USB products and not ethernet' Dont know if this is total bull poo or not.

anyways i have to try using the master socket with this router and a laptop. I will soon see if its this router which is pulling the dB's down.

anyone else have/had the same problem as this... (loss of sync, particulary in the mornings)??

I have upgraded to the lastest firmware too as it was recommended.

Cheers peeps.
Regards Chris
18 REPLIES
N/A

dg814

I have installed lots of these routers and recomend them to everyone never had a problem with them.
Boundey
Grafter

dg814

Yeah i dont think that the router is at fault!!

have you done all the firmware updates at all m8?
Community Veteran

dg814

I'm on version 4.8 (well my router is), always best to keep it updated cos the newer versions generally have more features and fix security flaws.

Chris
N/A

dg814

I have the DG814 with the latest firmware and have had no problems with it at all.
Boundey
Grafter

dg814

well i'm gonna plug my router into the master socket 2morrow morning and give the engineer a ring to do the circuit test on it. I need to know if its the upstairs line or the router at fault.

Good thing about netgears routers, they all come with 3yr warrenty Wink
N/A

dg814

Seems some people are luckier with their DG814's than others.

I had problems at my wife's company with a DG814 & Demon Internet connection. The router required frequent rebooting to get it connected again.
I now have that same router, updated to the latest drivers and it is still prone to "hanging".
A search through the forums at adslguide.org would suggest my experiences are not unique.

I genuinely could not recommend this product, even though it works well when connected and it has good features.

My wife's compnay now have an IX66 with a PlusNet connection and it hasn't gone off-line in over 4 months.

Cheers ta, Ian.
N/A

Re: dg814

They said summit along the lines of...
'These ADSL lines are configgured specifically for USB products and not ethernet' Dont know if this is total bull poo or not.

Could you see if their nose was getting longer? Wink
N/A

dg814

Actualy, there is some truth to what was said.

The british ADSL system was originaly setup on egineer install only, which was provided with the BT Green USB Frog.

This had been picked, tested and verified to work with the UK platform.

As such, to this day, much of the ADSL network was based on wotking with the USB device.
N/A

dg814

Harrumph! Wink
Community Veteran

dg814

The british ADSL system was originaly setup on egineer install only, which was provided with the BT Green USB Frog.

Dont forget the ethernet engineer installed products where released at the same time. The equipment was configured specifically for the routers and modems for these two products, not for USB technology.

Chris
N/A

dg814

Very true, but to my understanding, most of the client side testing was performed on the USB side of things.

The EN routers are a polished peice of kit, and where chosen for there well running design.
Community Veteran

dg814

It's a long time ago, but yes I think you are right that most of the EU testing was on USB.

I didnt like them routers, unconfigurable and took ages to get them regraded and they sometimes tended to over heat.

At least you never got any filter problems in the days of engineer installs.

Chris
N/A

dg814

Lack of configuration with the routers was a true pain.

However, our router was on for 3 years without a single power cut, and never had a single issue.

However, unplugging and moving to a different shelf killed ours. Thermal expantion must have been keeping the poor sod alive.
N/A

dg814

weird,
I have a DG814, and am finding that overnight the ADSL connection is dropped, and doesn't reconnect until something on the LAN makes a request (sometimes you need to power the router off and on as well).
this means that I can't get my email from home when I get to work in the morning unless I've connected to something before i leave!